Do you have a sensitive child like mine?

We were planning on what we wanted to do for Thanksgiving. Home vs. restaurant. We decided home. This was a few weeks back already. Last night I walk in to my room. My son is on the computer and tears are streaming down his face. I got concerned and starting asking him questions to figure out what was wrong. He was upset because he wanted to go to Golden Corral on Thanksgiving. Awww! He didn't like the change in plans. Initially we had decided to go out. I guess we're eating out now! :)

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 8:58 AM on Nov. 15, 2013 in General Parenting

• change in plans or routine is hard for mine
    and WOW, never promise something and not follow through- she WILL remember and holds a 'grudge'
    grandma said she would read her bedtime story, daughter fell asleep before grandma could, that was over a week ago, daughter still will not hug her. and neighbor friend promises stuff and forgets or figures was not real promise and falls through, then i ave to deal with " she pinkie promised"

as for sensitive- as in sensory- you bet ya

mine in spectrum too
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:29 AM on Nov. 15, 2013

• Nope mine aren't sensitive like that. I give moms with autistic kids credit because I'd snap out.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 10:15 AM on Nov. 15, 2013

• Manipulative.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Nov. 15, 2013

• My 10 yr old is pretty sensitive. It's more if he gets in trouble, though, or his brother is being a butt to him. He'll cry if he doesn't get his bedtime hugs and kisses, though - one night, he wanted to pretend he didn't want "lovings" at bedtime, and I got frustrated after about 5 minutes of that and said fine and left the room. He came out maybe a minute later, tears streaming, upset that I didn't give him his lovings.

He has gotten upset over changes in plans like that, but not a whole lot.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:06 AM on Nov. 15, 2013

• My kids are sensitive. They also are resilient & flexible, and they adapt to disappointing changes, but yes they feel their disappointment!

If it's something that can't change, or something we are not willing to change, they go through their disappointment & then move on. Sometimes that adjustment & moving on is very quick, and doesn't involve tears at all. Sometimes it does. It really depends on how stressed they are overall. Being able to cry when they need to (without being judged negatively for it) is what helps them not "need" to cry many other times, adapting more easily.

But they are sensitive people in that they have their full emotional range in response to life, they are sensitive to what's happening in them (they actually feel their feelings), and they are sensitive to the feelings of others.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 10:40 AM on Nov. 15, 2013

• Mine are still little, so they are sensitive. My 4 yr old sulks and says we hurt his feelings when he gets in trouble, and my 18 month old (OMG she's already 18 mos) cries if we so much as look at her wrong or tell her no; especially if my DH tells her no.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:44 AM on Nov. 15, 2013

• I have one (still) very sensitive child and one that could care less.... LMAO!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:24 AM on Nov. 15, 2013

• yeah, my 4 year old is really sensitive. sometimes it takes a LOT of patience to deal with her. she is the ultimate drama queen ;)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:06 PM on Nov. 15, 2013

• my 5 yo is very sensitive. she cries at the drop of a hat over things i never thought would upset her. even her teacher has noticed she's very sensitive to how others perceive her, but she says thats normal...she has one in every class haha. we think she's just too smart for her maturity level. like she's smart enough to read between the lines of ppl's behavior (they wont play with me, they must not like me) but not mature enough to deal with it.

oh and Golden Corral on Thanksgiving?! ...been there done that never again! y'all are crazy haha!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:58 PM on Nov. 15, 2013

• My son is very sensitive as well. Most Fridays, he spends the night at his grandmother's house. Sometimes she is not able to do that and I have to prepare him before Friday to let him know that he will not be going to her house. Also, I can not plan anything on Sunday's because that is his down time day. He gets very moody if I plan something on that day. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:02 PM on Nov. 15, 2013