Okay getting ready to go to the parent's house, Is it wrong of me to ask my SIL-

Not to start talking about political things? I love her dearly, and my brother is very lucky to have her as his wife, but for some reason, she enjoys making my 82 year old father crazy over political stuff.
I don't agree with my parent's view on everything, but she tries to drag me into siding with her. I think she doesn't understand how my Dad gets worked up over it, I am not saying he is right, by why argue with an elderly man?
He just lost the ability to drive, and has had several friends pass away, he is pretty grouchy over everything anyway, and if really bothers me to see her get him worked up over it.
My brother isn't going to be there, last time he told my SIL to put a sock in it, I am thinking of calling her and just asking to please not get him riled up today.
I guess she thinks he likes debating with her, but that isn't the case, he will then call me and say Can you believe your brother married someone who thinks like this?
I just want everyone to play nice, how hard is that.

2kids2dogs2cats

Asked by 2kids2dogs2cats at 3:11 PM on Nov. 15, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I would call her I say "let's not try to rile Dad up today, he's been feeling off so let's keep things calm, OK?" If she asks what do you mean then just tell her all the Political talk riles him. Done.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:21 PM on Nov. 15, 2013

• Just tell her. Don't talk about politics today.

Answer by louise2 at 3:14 PM on Nov. 15, 2013

• Good luck with that. I have had that issue in my family until I finally blew my cork and told everyone to get out. I am sick and tired of not having one single holiday where everyone isn't in some heated discussion and DH and I were having it alone. OUT.
    They have been a little cautious since and each has said the will escort the other out if it starts up. Sigh, I just say and that goes for you and your spouse too.

My then 10 year old grandson talked t me after that and told me thank you. He hates it too.
    Be careful and watch though because your dad might just bait her if she doesn't start it first. LOL
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:19 PM on Nov. 15, 2013

• I don't know why it has escalated so much, we all used to have friendly discussions about poltical things, and she has turned up the heat to the point he can't even focus. I just called and left a message saying, lets give Dad a break today, if he starts in on Obama, just change the subject.
    Will see what happens, most likely she is going to be mad at me, but I will explain she just needs to tone it down a bit.
    Last Sunday they were screaming at one another about the Zimmerman/Martin case, I was just looking for somewhere to disappear!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Comment by 2kids2dogs2cats (original poster) at 3:23 PM on Nov. 15, 2013