Do not say Merry Christmas....

I work in a retail store, and they encourage us to not say "Merry Christmas" out of respect for the customers that do not believe in celebrating this day...but...they play Christmas music throughout the store.
Songs such as and not limited to: O Holy Night, Silent Night, Away in a Manger, to name a few.
Isn't this hypocritical?
What are your thoughts?

KTElite

Asked by KTElite at 12:21 AM on Nov. 16, 2013 in Holidays

• Hey KT it is early but... have a Merry Christmas!!!!!
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:30 AM on Nov. 16, 2013

• F**k that. Is that offensive enough? I'm sick of coddling and walking on egg shells out of fear of offending someone. You know what is offensive? Trying NOT to be offensive....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:12 AM on Nov. 16, 2013

• I think if people spent as much time doing constructive things as they did worrying about how not to offend other people then we would be a much more productive society. It's stupid that anyone gets offended by something like that.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:53 AM on Nov. 16, 2013

• Every time someone in a store says merry Christmas to me I say "happy Hanukkah" loudly back to them!! LOL makes me laugh every time!! I never said merry Christmas when I worked retail... maybe because I have a lot of friends that aren't Christian. I never assumed everyone celebrated Christmas. I personally don't mind people saying merry Christmas to me as long as they don't get all Jesus-y on me!! I celebrate Christmas but it has nothing to do with all that Jesus stuff for me!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:19 AM on Nov. 16, 2013

• It's contradictory to say the least.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:38 AM on Nov. 16, 2013

• Let me reiterate.... None of it makes any difference to me. I think everyone should be able to say whatever they want, whenever they want... whatever their beliefs and we should respect that. The whole offensive thing is out of control. (just like the whole bullying thing)
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:20 AM on Nov. 16, 2013

• I meant "Have a Happy Holiday" Not "Happy a Happy Holiday!" LOL! Very early & I need coffee. :)
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:54 AM on Nov. 16, 2013

• You know, I don't see the problem with replying to the person with whatever they say ... if they say Merry Christmas, then say Merry Christmas right back. People need to pull out their damn sticks.

I agree with m-avi ... I'm sick of the "oh no, that might offend someone" bullshit.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:58 AM on Nov. 16, 2013

• Oh the PC world we have to live in now a days.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 8:32 AM on Nov. 16, 2013

• Where I live it is very diversified with many different Religions in one area. So most everyone says "Happy Holidays" or "Happy a Happy Holiday". Even at my Son's Elementary School everyone says it unless you know the Mom is Catholic then I'll say "Merry Christmas".
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:53 AM on Nov. 16, 2013