first goldfish tank!

I have bred guppies for several years, and I am ready to try out a coldwater setup. I would like to get some fancy goldfish. I know that they do not require a heater, but is there anything else I need to know? What kind of filteration is best for goldfish? What should they be fed? What water temperature is best for them? Can anybody recomend a good book on goldfish I can read? Thanks!

jamesmommy12

Asked by jamesmommy12 at 7:07 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Pets

• Goldfish are not really meant for a tank..they are better for a pond due to their size at maturity. The general rule is 2" fish per gallon so a completely mature Ryukin will need at least 20 gallons just for one. With that in mind... you will need a very large filter system. It will depend on the size tank that you have. Honestly, I would have at least a 55 gallon with a canister filter or and Aqua Clear that is doubled and I would have at least 2 of them. They are in the carp family and very nasty dudes. Pellets are the best food to feed them and only feed them a couple of times a week. Water temp is 68-72..but the fancies do better at about 72-74. Live plants will be eaten within hours so they are a waste of time with GF. I've had fish for over 20 yrs and just got rid of my 120 recently. :-(
    Let me know if you have any questions.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 10:06 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• ROOM TEMP IS WHAT I USED FOR MINE I TOOK THEM TO A PET STORE GAVE THEM UP THEY GOT WAY TO BIG FOR THE TANK I HAD THEY GET THE TANK WAY TO DIRTY THEY POOP ALOT !!
    Anonymous