Best anti-Common Core case ever made?

OK... I'm not a big Glen Beck fan (I haven't payed enough attention to him to know if I should be or not) but this video clip, this young man, is amazing!!! I included the text here... but really just watch the video. As someone working in a HS, knee deep in the new teacher evaluation process, I just want to run up and hug this kid!!! 

Welcome your thoughts, etc...  

http://www.glennbeck.com/2013/11/15/did-this-just-give-the-best-anti-common-core-case-ever-made/

Did this student just give the best anti-Common Core case ever made?

Friday, Nov 15, 2013 at 1:11 PM EST

Glenn has been talking about the dangers of Common Core for quite some time now, and as the new standards are rolled out in more and more states, parents, students, and teachers alike are speaking out about their frustrations and concerns. On radio this morning, Glenn played the anti-Common Core plea one concerned student, Ethan Young of Farragut High School in Knox County, TN, gave at a local school board meeting in Tennessee earlier this month. What did Ethan say that had Glenn calling it “the best argument against Common Core?

“The best argument against Common Core has come in from a student, and this kid is making the case so well, honestly I can’t believe that he’s in public education,” Glenn said. “He had a group of great teachers that taught him well, and he applied himself because, if you listen to this case against Common Core, it is right on the money. And listen to the crowd because the crowd seems to be teachers. The best case we have heard… against Common Core.”

“I mean already you’re thinking who is this kid? I mean he sounds accomplished, he is not nervous, and he is making a great case,” Glenn said. “This is such great stuff. And if you listen to what he’s saying here, and this is something we really need to emphasize.”

As Ethan describes, Common Core looks to create a one size fits all system that disregards the individual for the sake of the collective. Glenn liked the standards to an “authoritarian” regime because it seeks to strip the individual of everything that makes them unique, while pigeon holing teachers to the point where they are no longer teaching – they are simply regurgitating.

“Look at what technology does… Does it have just one font, or can we change the fonts so you can write a letter and it looks one way, and I can write a letter and it looks another way? Can you change the desktop, or does it only come with one desktop? Yes. It’s a system that allows you to be the best of who you are,” Glenn said. “That’s not what Common Core is doing… It’s not about the individual kid, and it’s certainly not about the individual teacher. And if you think things are bad now, you go frustrate the good teachers. You have the good teachers walk out and say, ‘It’s not even teaching anymore. This is just checking boxes.’ Then our kids are really doomed.”

Glenn encouraged his listeners to continue to be vocal and to speak up about what they are seeing happen in their children’s classrooms. He asked people to share this particular story because Ethan does such an exceptional job at explaining the difference between enjoying the freedoms of learning and Common Core.

“Share it. Tweet it. Facebook it. Get it out. Make this as viral as you possibly can because this will speak to the teachers and it will also speak to moms and dads. And it should speak to all of the school boards around the country,” Glenn said. “Look, we do have faith in you to do the right thing. You’ve got to do the right thing here. And anybody who is actually doing their homework and is not, you know, cozying up to the trough will understand Common Core is a danger to our nation and to our children.”

Crafty26

Asked by Crafty26 at 10:04 AM on Nov. 16, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Wow, what an amazing young man!

He obviously had teachers that allowed him to think out of the box, ask questions and learn.
    Too bad our school system is becoming so regulated that the government has more control over what is being taught in the schools and not the teachers and educators who live this world and clearly know best how to teach.
    AWE, the POWER of money!
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 10:37 AM on Nov. 16, 2013

• Problem is, the young man's assessment is not true.

So, because you don't see it, it automatically makes it untrue? One school, out of thousands, doesn't look like what he is talking about and somehow he is the one who is mistaken? Open your eyes and look outside the little box you have put yourself in. What he is talking about is happening in every state that implemented common core. Teaching isn't quantifiable and that is what CC aims to do. It puts every kid into the same little mold, and the ones that don't fit are the ones that get hurt.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:56 AM on Nov. 16, 2013

• Very well said given a limited amount of time. Who is benefiting from this? Not the kids!! What is crazy is that my Son was excellent in math in Kindergarten last year. I never even had to assist him in his addition. Now with this new common core math, he struggles every day. They give word sentences to kids that cannot even read thoroughly yet. It confuses me to no end since I was not taught this way. It's so strange like they want to manipulate & change the way kids think. I cannot even explain how weird this is. Like mind control. I hate it!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:20 AM on Nov. 16, 2013

• I think it would be great if all students were to speak out about common core and defend their teacher's ability to teach content instead of strictly to the test.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:58 AM on Nov. 16, 2013

• its not an argument against Common Core. this young man's wonderful speech is against the way public schools have been rigged & regulated for the past 30 years!! the problem with schools goes back to Reagan & has been screwed up worse & worse by every administration after it.

he mentions Obama & the Gates Foundation, he probably isnt aware that the CEO of the testing company that provided a large percentage of the tests for NCLB was Bush Jr's brother. the company raked in over a billion dollars of tax payers money b/c of NCLB.

CC isnt the problem in & of itself, the problem is the "scientific", blame teachers first mentality of politicians & sadly, most of the country. do you blame your dentist when you have cavities b/c you didnt brush well enough? do you blame the mailman for not getting your letter to the right place cause you put the wrong address on it? no? then why blame teachers for students who refuse to do work?!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:04 PM on Nov. 16, 2013

• having looked at Oklahoma's CC-based C3 standards (essentially the same thing but tailored to uber conservative, easily-angered hicks) they are better than the previous PASS skills standards. the problem isnt the standards themselves, its the way politicians are shoving their big fat ignorant asses into every teacher's business thats the problem. they want to tell teachers how to teach & present knowledge yet they know nothing about teaching. so its not CC its the douchebag politicians (surprise surprise)

oh and i refuse to read much of anything by Glenn Beck...he has a bad tendency to ignore the problem and focus on what will make ppl the most angry & reactionary. i mean, look at the first quote "this kid is making the case so well, honestly I can’t believe that he’s in public education." yeah, Glenn Beck obviously hasnt read the studies that shows private schools do not spit out smarter students than public schools...
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:12 PM on Nov. 16, 2013

• changing the entire way we see education. I also agree with gdiamante, I am not seeing how it is carried out in my daughter's classes the way it is being described by this kid or Glenn Beck. It may be true for some schools but it is not true for every single public school. The far right is wanting to use Common Core as a way to attack public school as it has always tried to attack public schools. A way to introduce tax credits for private education, vouchers, and reform suited best to their agenda.
    Anonymous

• "Problem is, the young man's assessment is not true.

So, because you don't see it, it automatically makes it untrue? One school, out of thousands, doesn't look like what he is talking about and somehow he is the one who is mistaken?"

Well, three schools out of thousands, actually. That's the number in our district. I've also seen how it's working in San Diego Unified, and it's nothing like the young man's description.

I concede, I cannot make a blanket statement any more than he can. Perhaps schools are implementing it the way he is saying. And if so, then they need to look at their counterparts in other places to see how it's being done without the bad stuff. The problem isn't common core itself, it's how the schools are implementing it.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:41 PM on Nov. 16, 2013

• It's not just Glen Beck. The Tea Party and Fox News are talking about it, too. I think his point is that we need to let teachers teach and be responsible to their community not some one size fits all standard that the federal government set. The federal government is so far removed from where the decisions need to be made. To me, this Common Core and the previous administration's No Child Left Behind fail the students because of a lack of local control and therefore a lack of local responsibility and lack of competition. Competition naturally brings out the best of the best. Governing from the top down ties our hands at the local level. It should be the other way around and the local schools should be locally controlled.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 10:44 PM on Nov. 16, 2013

• Problem is, the young man's assessment is not true. It's not how I'm seeing Common Core implemented in my son's high school at all.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:29 AM on Nov. 16, 2013