At what point in a minor accident would you replace your carseats?

My fiance spun out of control after being cut off on the freeway last night on his way home from work. He ended up facing oncoming traffic and one car tapped him. Not hard enough to do any damage to the vehicle except crack the glass on the license plate cover.

What should I do about the car seats? It was just a tap but I'm still unsure.

Before you tell me the insurance will replace them I'll let you know he got a no insurance ticket. He has insurance as of today.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 4:47 PM on Nov. 16, 2013 in General Parenting

• How scary! Glad he's OK. I'm betting the car seats are fine too. Just make sure they didn't come loose where they are buckled in. That's where I'd be looking for cracks too. I doubt there will be any, since it was so minor.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:18 PM on Nov. 16, 2013

• I would say unless there was airbags involved kind of crash you are fine. The kids were not in the car right? I would guess that if there was a child sitting in it then the weight might cause a stress crack somewhere, but if they were empty I say you are all good.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 4:53 PM on Nov. 16, 2013

• I'm sure the car seats are perfectly fine. Thank goodness your SO is OK!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:03 PM on Nov. 16, 2013

• Nope- no kids in the car, thank goodness!!!!

There was no damage to his vehicle except for the cracked license plate glass. I will try to get more information from him- he was pretty shaken up about the whole thing. He couldn't tell me an exact speed or anything- obviously.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 4:57 PM on Nov. 16, 2013

• no insurance?
    Anonymous