If you have worked at a retail job,what kind of BS have you had to put up with?

I worked at a grocery store deli. It never failed. Someone would come in 5 min before we closed,and wanted a whole bunch of stuff sliced. Then someone would see THEM getting it,and want stuff too. By that time,we're already a half hour past closing time.
At least a few times a week,someone would insist we make them something that we didn't sell. My favorite were subs. I'd say no,but this one time I told the guy,"Ok,but I have to weigh and meter every single item". He says ok. That sub ended up costing him $11! lol
There literally was a Subway 2 doors down. He could have gotten it for $4 there.
I worked as a housekeeper in a hotel for a few years. I was amazed at how people would leave their rooms.Garbage strewn on the floor,tubs full of filthy water left undrained,pee and poo everywhere in the bathroom,and used condoms left on nightstands and in the sheets. One time I found one dried on the ceiling. I wonder how many tries it took to get it to stick...

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 7:55 PM on Nov. 16, 2013 in Just for Fun

• i worked at a Burlington Coat Factory as a teenager...worst. job. ever! i was put on the register after a day of training and then got yelled at by the asst manager for having not memorized the entire 3 binders worth of procedures. yet the dumb ass girl who got hired along with me, wasnt expected to do those things. i got yelled at by every other customer for things i couldnt control and was berated by 2 of the asst managers for things no one else got in trouble for. the only reason i stayed was for the 3rd asst manager who treated me like his DD...they were so desperate to keep me (no idea why) that i said i would only work when he was working...and they let me!! so i was treated like the worst employee ever despite being the only one who showed up on time, picked up shifts whenever asked, and always cashed out even...stupid douchebags...i lasted 3 months haha
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:38 PM on Nov. 16, 2013

• This was back before electronic card readers and electronic signatures. Store policy was that the cashier held onto the credit card and double check the signature on the credit card vs the signature on the receipt. (Yeah, because minimum wage employees are expert graphologists.....)

Anyway, this mom and her teen daughter came through my line. The mom got pissed off and cursed ME out, then my supervisor, and almost started in on the security guy when he walked over to see what the commotion was.

"give me my expletive expletive expletive card. Your expletive expletive expletive expletive expletive will tell you if my expletive expletive card is expletive expletive expletive stolen or not."

Yeah, the teen was hiding her face and beet red. All of that over a $20 pair of running shoes and a pack of gum. I had customers coming up to me for the next 2 hours telling me what a bitch that lady was and how well I handled the situation
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:22 PM on Nov. 16, 2013

• What hotel did you work in?
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 9:19 PM on Nov. 16, 2013

• It sounds terrible.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 9:22 PM on Nov. 16, 2013

• I use to work at Wall-Mart....enough said lol I've seen lots of crazy ass shit, from paying in pure pennies, child abuse, spouse abuse, fainting, an old man died infront of me, a lady had a baby in the bathroom(I didn't see it), people with ocd trying to shop and pay, employee outburst, mom's stealing, and some man urinated all over the pet isle. But with all that I've also experienced some pretty hope for human kind of moments aswell. Once this mom and a young child were buying diapers and baby food and some other things and when it came time to pay she didn't have enough and need to put back some stuff. The man behind her just paid for it all. Also a customer once paid for a bunch of coffee at the Mc Donalds and then came and told all the employees to go have free coffee. I also saw one customer save another customer. 

pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 11:03 PM on Nov. 16, 2013

• I worked at Staples for 5 months right out of high school. Crazy how insane people get over their disposable pens and copy paper purchases. I had a guy once who chose the wrong binder, brought it to the register anyway just to tell me he picked up the wrong one, and when I suggested he go grab the correct one while I ring up the rest of his purchases he tore me a new one because how DARE I ask the customer to retrieve an item himself. That was MY job. Didn't help when I told him I only suggested it because I'm not allowed to leave the register and I can call for help but it would take a while. He bitched for the next 5 minutes until one of the floor people FINALLY answered my pages.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 11:44 PM on Nov. 16, 2013

• very dramatic hormonal women. lol
    cmwamma

Answer by cmwamma at 8:31 PM on Nov. 16, 2013

• LOL OP- Just be glad you weren't in the splash zone when they were trying to get it to stick to the ceiling! Eww ;p

I've worked with the public as a server & a legal asst. I've come to the conclusion that "the public" sucks!!! Anyone working in retail during the holidays has my sincerest sympathies.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:28 AM on Nov. 17, 2013

• I was a register jockey for twenty years, I have worked fast food retail and parking lots. I have had food thrown on me been punched in the face and had people return half eaten food and get all of their money back. I have also seen customers help other customers and had  kindness given to myself one time I was sick and was at work for twelve hours this lady brought me orange juice and Theraflu  so its all kinds.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:40 PM on Nov. 17, 2013

• A local one,not a chain

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 9:21 PM on Nov. 16, 2013