Has anyone ever taken 5-HTP?

If so, what for? What were your results? Any pros or cons??

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 8:57 PM on Nov. 16, 2013 in Health

• You and me both. It is a slippery slide as you decrease the medications. I can only seem to go so far nd then I can sleep and when I do the nightmares are the pits.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:52 AM on Nov. 17, 2013

• I would NEVER use 5-HTP! It has been known to cause muscle tenderness, think fibroid myalgia, as well as blood abnormalities.
    There is not enough evidence to support 5-HTP and it's highly recommended you don't.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 9:04 PM on Nov. 16, 2013

• I have never even heard of this.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:26 PM on Nov. 16, 2013

• It's also been touted to treat menopausal symptoms and depression.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 9:35 PM on Nov. 16, 2013

• KTElite to you have any of the links/papers etc about the effects you were talking about? I would love to be able to share it with some groups I belong to...about the dangers of it, because I know there are still a lot of "doctors" even recommending it.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:37 PM on Nov. 16, 2013

• I tried it briefly. I know it is recommended by a lot of doctors for fibro....so it is interesting to hear KTElite's knowledge.

I only tried it for a week to try and get more energy I think it was(can't remember thanks to fibro fog lol) ...but I also have bipolar(mild) and it started to trigger mood changes so I stopped it.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:35 PM on Nov. 16, 2013

• M-avi unless you actually had insomnia the best suggestions are to stop using electronics at least an hour before the bedtime routine and to get a set routine for bed to signal your body that it is now time to shut down. Even if you have a sleep disorder can help.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:30 PM on Nov. 16, 2013

• Again, I found it while I was researching natural sleep stuff....
    m-avi

Comment by m-avi (original poster) at 9:32 PM on Nov. 16, 2013

• I think you're right Dard. My issues are insomnia, but it's because of other medications I have taken and am trying to get off. I don't want to do any prescription strength meds.
    m-avi

Comment by m-avi (original poster) at 11:56 PM on Nov. 16, 2013