Sickle-cell anemia.

I went to my obstetrician and she told me something in comparison to hemoglobin.So I thought blood cells and she said "anemia".She said I have a trait that has sickle-cell.So they want my boyfriend to do a test to check his hemoglobin to see if he might have sickle-cell or anemia.I told her if she could do a quad test when I am in month 3 for genetic disorders.I honestly think its my side.My sister has anemia.And I'm scared.Depression runs in my family and I strongly feared that maybe the baby could have depression.But then this shows up and its scaring me.This has made me closer to my baby because I know they will need me if something is wrong.They want to test him to make sure he also doesn't have any traits because then it is a higher chance for sickle-cell.But if its only on my side then we'll know that it is not his genetics sickle-cell runs in.I'm just a little nervous.My father already told me to have an abortion and so did his parents.I don't want them to think that this is more of a reason to have an abortion.Since I know depression runs in my family,I figured that I can handle it more because I have depression and I'll know what to do.But how can I handle this?I know my boyfriend's mother.And I don't want her to find out.

CrownedPrincess

Asked by CrownedPrincess at 9:55 PM on Nov. 16, 2013 in Health

• Just because you have the genes for something does not mean that the child will have whatever disease. Furthermore, I am sure that if you asked people who lived with whatever disease(depression, sickle cell etc) if they would rather have been aborted then go on to lead the life they have, that they would say they would rather live.

You will learn and you will adapt and you will do just fine. Don't let anyone pressure you into a decision that you don't want.

I would recommend that you look for some local or virtual(online) support groups dealing with Sickle-cell so that you can ask questions and get some support.

Good luck, relax.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:03 PM on Nov. 16, 2013