I'm adopting a child between 6 months to 14 months. What and how many clothes do I need to register for?

Gender is unknown. How many onesies, pants, shirts, sleepers should I register for and what sizes? What do children wear at this age?

keliweis

Asked by keliweis at 6:13 AM on Nov. 17, 2013 in Adoption

• Don't shop until you get the child's age, height, and weight. I know a one year old who wears a 12 month size and another one year old who wears a 24 month size, so it varies a lot. I always wanted at least 7 of everything........pants, shirts, pajamas, etc so I made it to laundry day once a week. But more is definitely better in case of accidents, spills, etc. Make sure a little girl has pants to wear especially while learning to crawl. Plus depending on where you live you'll need a couple of lightweight jackets, a winter coat, mittens, hat. Walk through the children's section in any department store to get ideas or browse online.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 8:17 AM on Nov. 17, 2013

• Congratulations! If you are having a party before you know the gender, age, height, and weight of the child, it might be best to simply request gift cards. It might seem impersonal to do so, but till you know those basic facts, there's just no way to shop effectively.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:14 PM on Nov. 17, 2013

• Are you adopting through Foster Care or Internationally?
    If it is through FC, they will be able to tell you what size the child is currently wearing according to the child's height and weight.

Adopting Internationally is trickier when it comes to size. Our dd was 17 months old when she came home from China. She was 20 lbs and 29" tall...very tiny. We thought she would be in 18-24 month clothing, but she was in 12 month clothing.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 8:47 AM on Nov. 17, 2013

• Register for what?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:45 AM on Nov. 17, 2013

• Until you know what age and what size you should not register at all.
    I also would not until it is a fact.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:06 PM on Nov. 17, 2013

• I wouldn't even register. Seriously.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:14 PM on Nov. 17, 2013

• If you register, ask for big cuz the kid will always grown... So get like 18 or 24 months to start with, and you can fill in the gaps until they get to that size. I'd plan on at least two full outfits for everyday to start... Kids get dirty. Plus jammies, blankets, toys, etc... How fun!! I bet you are super excited!!!
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 1:26 PM on Nov. 17, 2013

• You don't until you know exactly how old and how heavy the child you are getting is.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:40 PM on Nov. 18, 2013