Teens smoking?

If you are a mom that smokes do you think it is more likely that your kids will start smoking young? I have smoked most of my life (yuck) and of my 4 kids only my youngest smokes. Does anyone else have teen smokers in the family?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Nov. 17, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• This is why my 5 and 9 year old have NEVER seen me smoke. I hide the cigs and I only smoke when they are not anywhere near me. Sneaking out when they are watching cartoons, only smoking in the car when they are not with me, smoking after they go to bed, before they wake up. I am SUPER careful that they do not develop my same flaws.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Nov. 17, 2013

• It's a toughie because we all know how bad cigarettes are for us, but as much as I've tried I have never been able to fully quit. Dh quit 3 years ago and our 16 yr old dd smokes now. I think if kids want to smoke they are going to find a way whether we let them or not. I'm not happy that dd smokes and I know my mom wasn't happy with me either at that age. There are some battles that are not worth fighting. Telling them they can't smoke or punishing them will only force them to do it in secret.
    GarysWife1991

Answer by GarysWife1991 at 8:55 AM on Nov. 17, 2013

• There are 4 of us kids and out of us I am the only one who doesn't smoke.
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 9:05 AM on Nov. 17, 2013

• My mom smokes, my dad quit when I was 2. I'm the only one of 3 kids who never smoked. My brother stll smokes, and my sister used to but quit years ago. My husband doesn't smoke, and so far none of the kids smoke. I've drilled into their heads how bad it is after watching my grandpa die of emphysema.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:59 AM on Nov. 17, 2013

• Whatever happened to "do as I say,not as I do"?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:23 AM on Nov. 17, 2013

• Well BB, That's being to logical.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 10:52 AM on Nov. 17, 2013

• My mother smokes, has COPD and still smokes.

I have 4 siblings. Only one of them used to smoke she quit. The rest of us may have tried them a few times but never really smoked.

My husband does not smoke either.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:32 PM on Nov. 17, 2013

• My mom smoked (died of cancer at 37), my sisters started in their teens, and I never touched one. I guess watching my mother waste away to a bruised, jaundiced skeleton who smoked until she died was enough to deter me. My sisters, not so much.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:35 PM on Nov. 17, 2013

• My Parents both smoked. Mom quit after she got a clogged carotid artery & had to have surgery. My Sisters both still smoke. I'm the youngest, tried it then quit. That was about 20 years ago. When my kids see my Sisters smoke the kids tell them "that's bad!"

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:12 PM on Nov. 17, 2013

• It's a proven fact that children of smokers are more likely to smoke themselves. Hopefully your teen will kick the habit as a young person, when it is easier. Good luck to you as well.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:08 PM on Nov. 17, 2013