How much should I pay a sitter?

My cousin's and I are getting together this weekend. One of my cousin's has a daughter who is going to babysit my kids (ages 9 & 7) and a couple of other kids if there is any time that the adults want to go out & do something without the kids this weekend. I don't know how long she will have the kids or how often during the weekend. I haven't had to use a sitter (usually grandparents watch them) so I don't know what the going rate is for one. Should I pay a nightly rate or by the hour? What do you pay?

soccermom0002

Asked by soccermom0002 at 7:16 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

• I pay my weekly sitter $2 per hour per child. When i have a girl over for at night so I can go to dinner, I give her about $25 for a couple of hours. I have a girl that comes on Saturday's from 10-6 and she gets $40. i have 2 kids, 1 &3.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 11:50 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I apy 35% of my check, but she also is on call, just in case i get called in. She also gets to do her laundry at my home and help with rides for errands after work.

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 5:24 PM on Feb. 23, 2009