Thanksgiving Question

This will be my first year attempting to roast a turkey. I don't even know where to start. You could say I'm a beginner cook. So I would love to know, What do you ladies do for your thanksgiving turkey?? I really do not want to ruin our turkey so any advice or suggestions, anything, will help! I will be cooking for 4 adults and one child. I wouldn't mind having leftovers if it actually turns out good.

._Andrea_.

Asked by ._Andrea_. at 3:40 PM on Nov. 17, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I stuff my turkey, optional...
    Place turkey in roaster, add a couple of cans of chicken broth, place pats of butter on top of turkey, seal with foil and slow bake approximately 5 hours. Remove foil and brown for 30 minutes. Guaranteed a tender juicy bird. ;)
    You can do this!
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 3:50 PM on Nov. 17, 2013

• I do not stuff mine. I bought and injector and inject butter into my turkey to keep it moist. Cooking it to long dries it out.

Answer by louise2 at 3:54 PM on Nov. 17, 2013

• I think what KTE said is the easier, safest way for a beginner to do it.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 3:57 PM on Nov. 17, 2013

• Not if you keep it covered tightly with plenty of juices louise.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 3:57 PM on Nov. 17, 2013

• This is the 100% absolute way to not screw up your turkey. It's counter to what most people learned from their mother, but it results in perfect turkey every single time.  Don't stuff the bird - the only way you'll get the stuffing up to safe temp is by overcooking the turkey, do the stuffing separate - that's a food safety issue, not a flavor or preference issue.  You do not want your first Thanksgiving to be remembered a the one that gave everyone salmonella. 

There is a downside to making the turkey this way.  After the first one, we are required to make the turkey every year, even if Thanksgiving isn't at our house.  Violence occurs if we suggest letting someone else do it.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:04 PM on Nov. 17, 2013

• I hate brining the bird!
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 4:06 PM on Nov. 17, 2013

• STEP ONE: Defrost a frozen tukey for several days before roasting day in the refrigerator.

STEP TWO: (and I cannot stress this enough) REMOVE THE GIBBLETS BAG from the cavity of the bird. I know two people that did not remove it on their first attempt at roasting a bird.

After those two steps, roast any method to your liking.
    I don't actually roast a turkey, we don't really like it that much. I'm roasting a large chicken.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:19 PM on Nov. 17, 2013

• I do stuff my bird, AND bring it to a safe temperature. I've been making Thanksgiving dinner for abou 25 years.

I mix butter, chopped basil leaves, thyme and garlic together, rub them in the cavity of the bird, then stuff. Then I gently lift the skin over the breasts, slip my hand inside (gently you don't want to tear the skin) and rub the herbed butter generously over the breast. I take fresh basil leaves and arrange them under the skin. You won't believe how much flavor this will give your turkey, and it will look beautiful cooked as well. I rub the skin with the butter paste, put tie the legs together and add as much stuffing as I can between the legs, sometimes I'll put an apple there. I usually pour a can of chicken broth, or some apple cider over the bird, wrap the pan with foil and bake. About every 2 hours (depending on the size of the bird, I will pull the turkey out and baste it with the drippings.

Continued.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 4:23 PM on Nov. 17, 2013

• KT I do it your way short of stuffing it, we do our stuffing on the side, but I have never had a dry Turkey. It absolutely delicious every year!
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 4:25 PM on Nov. 17, 2013

• well except last when we bought from local grocer
    luvmygrandgirl