why does my daughter cry every night around 8:00?

At night my daughter will cry around 8:00 or so. I can't console her. She has eaten, bathed, burped and diaper changed and she won't stop. It's happened for probably the last 4 nights that I've noticed the pattern. She seems a bit tired but screams when I put her down. She doesn't seem to go to sleep until she's dog tired. What do I do? Please help!!

P.S.
She's a little over 3 months old.

littlewun

Asked by littlewun at 7:17 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She may be feeling some growing pains.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 7:23 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• why would it be the same time every night then?
    littlewun

Answer by littlewun at 7:45 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• My daughter cries and fusses at around the same time as yours and I'm sure shes tired because her eyes get all red, mine does not take a paci but she is breastfed so I just nurse her to sleep..........Im guessing your baby is just tired :)
    jokermom

Answer by jokermom at 7:54 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• It's generally called "the witching hour" and no one knows why it happens or why it happens with some babies and not others. In toddlers it shows up as "rotten toddler behavior" in the evenings. My best guess is it's caused by too much stimulation / being overtired. Kids who don't fall asleep until they drop are caught in a vicious cycle - can't relax enough to sleep, get more tired from the lack of sleep, can't relax enough to sleep. I'd try getting her down to sleep earlier - even an hour earlier - but other than that, you sort of have to wait it out.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:56 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• every baby has a "fussy time" 8:00 is probably hers.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 8:54 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• how do you get them to go to sleep earlier? I've been trying to add little signals for her. Such as a bath. She gets a bath now every night at or around 7:00. I then feed her soon after when she's hungry. But she doesn't always act tired afterwards and will stay up then and fussy until she conks out. How do you try to get them to go to sleep when they don't want to? And how long do you let a 3 month old cry before you console them?
    littlewun

Answer by littlewun at 9:18 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Your baby may be used to the routine and is just fussing because she knows what is coming next and doesn't want to go to sleep. My son had been doing this for months after his bath because he knew his bottle was next for bedtime and we couldn't move fast enough. I would try limiting the naps in the afternoon and evening time to 1hr at a time and really wear her out with play time in the late evening. Keep your routine and she will eventually figure out that she can begin to relax with bathing/diaperchange/bottle before bed. Hang in there...more than likely it is a phase.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:54 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• prolly ready for bed....she is just fighting sleep
    amber325

Answer by amber325 at 2:05 PM on Feb. 20, 2009