my cats litter

Can I use POOPER SCOOPER when i'm pregnant. My cat is an inside cat and we have had him for 6 years.

shannon7221

Asked by shannon7221 at 9:11 PM on Nov. 17, 2013 in Pregnancy

• You can have a cat litter box, but YOU can't change it or have any contact with it. Let someone else do it.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:13 PM on Nov. 17, 2013

• Wear gloves, perhaps even a mask, and wash hands thoroughly afterwards. You still have the risk of toxiplasmosis (sp) , but as long as you use precautions it's not a huge deal.

2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:14 PM on Nov. 17, 2013

• I do agree to let someone else do it, but if you have no other options use protective gear.
    2autisticsmom

• It's best to let someone else do it, but if you wear gloves, and if it's a strictly indoor cat that you've had for a long time, your riskis pretty low.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:32 PM on Nov. 17, 2013

• I always made my husband do it when I was pregnant. If you absolutely have to do it yourself, wear gloves.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:06 PM on Nov. 17, 2013

• You can get your cat tested for toxoplasmosis, then you know whether or not it's safe for you to scoop his/her litter or not. Or just do it the easy way and have someone else do it instead.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:47 PM on Nov. 17, 2013

• I've always heard that you shouldn't touch a litter box when you are pregnant.

I know it's time for me to go to bed. When I saw this question, my immediate answer was "better tell them to stop or they will get a fine"

Yeah, I'm going to bed
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 11:31 PM on Nov. 17, 2013

• With indoor cats your risk is pretty small. As long as you wash your hands well afterwards you should be fine. IT might be wothwhile asking your doc to test you to see if you're immune (in which case there's no problem at all). Many people are and don't know it.
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 4:31 AM on Nov. 18, 2013

• If you've had the cat for a while, like a few years, and the cat is strictly an indoor cat who doesn't eat table scraps, and the litter is scooped daily, yes, you're fine. You can scoop the litter. Do it daily and wash your hands afterward, like you've been doing.

Everyone freaks about toxoplasmosis. And, yes, it's a big deal. But, the chances of your cat having it are so ridiculously small that you should be more worried about listeria from deli meat than you should about toxoplasmosis from cat litter.

You can: 1. Be safe and have yourself and the cat checked for signs of the disease. 2. Or wear gloves and a mask during your DAILY scooping (washing your hands is a given). 3. Forget all of this, and tell your hubby that he has to do the cat chores for the duration to protect you and baby.

Relax. It's all going to be okay.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 1:27 PM on Nov. 18, 2013

• Yes. I changed the litter with 2 pregnancies. If I waited for my husband it would never get done.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:32 PM on Nov. 18, 2013