"Homemade" gift for child's birthday party

Here's my lack of creativity coming to slap me in the face again.

My son got invited to a classmates birthday party. The invitation said gifts are not necessary but as another parent suggested something "homemade" would be cool. Ugh. Buying a gift for a child I don't know is easier than thinking of something homemade! ! Best I can think of is a construction paper card. Help!! The classmate is a girl and is going to be either 5 or 6. Anyone have any ideas??

maecntpntz219

Asked by maecntpntz219 at 12:01 AM on Nov. 18, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Make a nice batch of glitter playdough. Someone did that for DD and she loved it!
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 12:08 AM on Nov. 18, 2013

• Ahh see now that's cool!! Thanks!
    maecntpntz219

Comment by maecntpntz219 (original poster) at 12:10 AM on Nov. 18, 2013

• SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:12 AM on Nov. 18, 2013

• Maybe some homemade cookies?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:15 AM on Nov. 18, 2013

• A friendship bracelet. or a simple necklace.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:31 AM on Nov. 18, 2013

• If you know for sure the parents aren't already planning to do one - a plain t-shirt and some fabric markers. Everyone at the party gets to sign/draw on the shirt for her.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:42 AM on Nov. 18, 2013

• I'd pick out a small gift anyway. Maybe a book.

Answer by Bmat at 8:30 AM on Nov. 18, 2013

• You can make play dough that smells like lemon and other fun scents. You can also have a pillow case that you write on saying sweet dreams filled with love and friendship and have her friends sign. Lots of things can be fun, inexpensive and meaningful. I also like getting an inexpensive book on friendship and having kids sign it. I do one every year for my daughter's birthday party. Each year we have a new book and read the old messages. Lots of fun.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Nov. 18, 2013

• I'd get this & either make her some bracelets or give her the whole thing it's $14.99 at ToysRus. I got my Son one & he & his friends are going crazy over these. Even if she has one she'll still need more rubber bands that are included since you never have enough.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:55 AM on Nov. 18, 2013

• My thought was right there with Paulie's. We have a different version, the Rainbow Loom, but the concept is the same: bracelets made from little rubber bands. My 6 year old nags me constantly to make them. The problem is, she hasn't quite figured out how to actually MAKE the thing, she can just but the bands on the right pegs.

Here's a link the the How-To tutorials. The basic bracelet instructions come in the box.

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:15 AM on Nov. 18, 2013