Do your kids ever catch anything from the pediatrician office?

I have to take my son to the pediatrician for his 18 month well visit next Monday. And I'm a bit of a germaphobes.. Plus it's 3 days before thanksgiving. So I'm terrified he will pick something up. I made it for the first appointment with his pediatrician at 8:30 so I'm hoping it'll be okay. He's just getting harder to contain and wants to touch everything. We've been to plenty before without problems.. But like I said.. It's getting harder. So I was just wondering if anyone has had any problems with this. They don't have toys in their waiting room.. And no separate entrance. They have separate waiting areas but people don't always follow that. I just don't want him to be sick for the holiday. :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:23 AM on Nov. 18, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Uhm, no. He'll probably come in more contact with germs at the mall, on the playground or from you family then at the doctors office. You should probably talk to the doc about you own paranoia while your in there, you may need some professional help.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 6:04 AM on Nov. 18, 2013

• No. You can ask the front office about their cleaning procedures but the drs office is probably one of the safest places you go.

Answer by missanc at 6:17 AM on Nov. 18, 2013

• Not that I've noticed. Our doctor is a family doctor and now is in private practice (but for the first four years we used her, she was part of a family practice) so we generally are the only ones in the waiting room (since she's the only doctor there, and we have the next appointment.)

There were many people in the waiting room at the other office (adults & children) and some were well child checks/annual physicals while some were in because of illness. I don't remember my daughter ever getting sick after.

girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 7:20 AM on Nov. 18, 2013

• Yes,sigh
    A stomach virus
    He went in for a well baby visit at 15 months. The office called us later that day to tell us that a kid that was in the waiting room at the same time was treated for a stomach virus. i thought we were in the clear,but at 3 am,he woke up covered in poo and was projectile vomiting...

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:02 AM on Nov. 18, 2013

• Why not just call and reschedule until after Thanksgiving if you are so worried? I have to bring both my kids together so my 2 year old goes in an umbrella stroller inside the office. I just give her a book or a toy & she's fine. I also bring a big baby blanket to lay on the examining table to put her on. Bath the baby when you come home too.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:07 AM on Nov. 18, 2013

• Nope. Ours is a multi-doctor office so they have a split waiting room. One side for sick kids, one for well visits.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:20 AM on Nov. 18, 2013

• This time of year there's going to be a lot of sick kids in and out of the ped's office, and will be for a few months. Either work through your paranoia, or put off a ped's visit til spring.

My kids have never gotten sick from a visit to the dr.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:41 AM on Nov. 18, 2013

• Thanks.. It's a multi doctor practice.. The walk in is downstairs and we will be upstairs. And we made it first appointment of the day. It's just hard to get the stroller up there..due to stairs and narrow hallways.. I always bathe him when we get home. We need to do this appointment sometime soon and it's pretty hard to reschedule and get first of the morning. I think later in the day would be worse as far as picking up germs.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:14 AM on Nov. 18, 2013

• It's possible, but we go a lot of places. It would be very difficult to pinpoint it to the Dr.'s office as opposed to say, touching the handle of a grocery cart, or turning off the water in a public bathroom after they wash their hands. So I guess they may have, but nothing that I can recall that I could trace back to the Dr.'s office.
    That said, when we go (for sick or well visits), the kids sit next to me and read books we bring from home or play on their DS, my phone or an iPad instead of playing with or reading things in the reception area.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:17 AM on Nov. 18, 2013

• Yeah we always bring a couple of books or something for let him watch something on the phone.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:56 AM on Nov. 18, 2013