My daughter is 3 years old and she is going to be getting her first hair cut. Does anyone have any advice for me

she has been talking about cutting her hair for awhile so I am going to take her I am not sure how she is going to do when we get into the beauty shop.The lady I made the hair cut with seemed really happy to do it. If anyone has any advice for me that would be really great. Thank you

andrea86160

Asked by andrea86160 at 7:18 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Cut half as much as your daughter asks for.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 7:22 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I'd suggest getting your hair cut first and then telling her it is her turn. Making it seem like a natural and non-scary process should help.

Answer by Bmat at 7:28 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Keep your expectations low.

Have candy in your pocket.

Take pictures.

Good luck.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 7:47 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• If she flips out, dont worry alot of kids do it on their first hair cut, try to aviod clippers, the sound may scare her, hold something over her face when they cut the front, this really bothered my LO the hair getting in her eyes or nose, and if the hair cut does not come out perfect becuase she moved alot, dont worry you can take her back in a few days to fix it.
    Alot of kids do GREAT with first haircuts, some dont.,
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:57 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Take her in, sign her in and stand with her while she's in the chair.

Take a straw cup of drink for her to sip on...it helps keep them still! Let her go until she starts getting antsy, then give her the cup. It adds about another 10 minutes of still time.

If you're in a panic about it, she'll pick up on that and become nervous....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:33 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Suckers, suckers, suckers. That has been the only thing that has kept my daughter okay through her haircuts.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:30 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Remember whichever what it goes....good or bad...you and she will survive it (and so will the hairdresser because they are used to it). Each kid is different and you cannot predict what will happen.

You may want to read a few books about getting a haircut a few days before....you can see these on www.cjkidz.com (CJKidz Favorite Things, the click on Sweet Baby Tina page 10 & 11) or click here http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom-20?node=9&page=10

If you want to save the hair in something really cute....you can go to www.cjkidz.com (CJKidz Favorite Things, then click on Sweet Baby Tina, page 1) or click here http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom-20?node=9&page=1

GOOD LUCK! Let us know how it turns out. Post a picture!
    momjs

Answer by momjs at 11:10 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• This works for us. Find a hair dresser than allows you to hold your child in your own lap as they cut their hair. This eases nerves and the wiggles and keeps your baby from getting a lopsided hair cut or worse a snipped ear!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 2:34 AM on Feb. 28, 2009