Entering School

My 4 year old daughter will be starting kindergarden in the fall and I don't want to send her to a public school, but can't afford private school, and home school, not an option around here. I want her to be able to be around other kids.
Does anyone have any reason that they would ABSOLUTELY NOT send their kids to public or private school?
Do you have any experiances that would help me on my decision?

ketha04

Asked by ketha04 at 7:24 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• if the only reason to NOT homeschool is because you want her around others kids- it is usually not an issue at all. a lot of Homeschooled kids we know are doing MORE "social" activities than kids in the public school. Look into local Homeschool Co-Ops.

we tried public school, but for many reasons switched to homeschooling. So my kids and DH&I can be in charge of their education instead of the gov't being the oones that control what they learn and when. So they are not known by/limited to their 'educational difficulties' (like not being allowed to do the math and science they want to do in schoool because their reading isn't advanced), hearing about sex and drugs from us instead from the government and 100s of kids, and many other reasons. (like simply a better education and better social skills)
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 8:35 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• We homeschool. My kids are two grades "ahead" of where they "should" be in public school. Nothing against ps, that's just what we do.j

Sorry, I can't be of any further help.
    Anonymous

• We are public school - my BFF's daughter is in charter school. Both of the girls are doing great.

Have you toured the public schools? Talked to the teachers? Maybe it's not so scary!
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 7:46 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• We're trying to get my oldest into a Charter school next fall. Nothing against the public schools, this one is geared more towards applied technologies and is right up his scientific alley. If he doesn't get in this year, we'll try again next year...

The public schools here aren't bad...but if there was a lot of drugs and violence...I'd pull them out.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:55 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• What are you against public schools?

*Some* districts are not good, that's true. Many more, however, provide wonderful educational opportunties. My kids go to public school. Our district is one of the top rated districts in our state and the school is one of the top elementary schools in our district. The kids get a fantastic education from teachers that really do love their students. My son's teacher goes out of her way to provide additional challenges to her advanced students while providing closer one-to-one review with her students that may be struggling. My DD's teacher considers herself an extension of our family in a "friend of family" sort of way. She's part of our "team." I'd put the schools we have up against any private school any day.

My point? Unless there's a specific issue with your district, don't assume it's no good without checking it out. You may be surprised.
    Anonymous

• Last yr my daughter went to school at a charter school, she had to change schools at the start of this school year and in the public school this year she is doing better. I liked the charter school last year, until I realize that my daughter was behind everyone else; and in her new school she is doing good and what everyone else is doing. I went to a public school my whole life. Since than I have moved. So the public schools here aren't that bad. Where I went to school it isn't a school I would send my daughter to now in this day and age, It has only gotten worse since I graduated in 2001.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 9:55 PM on Feb. 19, 2009