Feeling sad about something and can't kick the feeling.

Saturday night my husband myself and our 3 yr old went to dinner but first we stopped at my husbands friends house to pick up a drill my husband had lent his friend. I stayed in the car because I was on the phone with a long distant relative, but my son got out and went with my hubby. Long story short I am on the phone and all of a sudden I hear my son saying hi mommy and running towards the car and my husband running behind him to catch him, and before I could even react I hear a car coming up the street and I see my husband running the fastest I've ever seen him run and THANK THE LORD catches our son. So here's what I am sad about, I ask myself "why didn't you get out of the car and catch him, because what if your hubby wasn't fast enough" God Forbid?! Why were my reflexes not on point? I I feel like I didn't react the way I should have, I just sat there like a stupid dud. It did happen fast and I know I remember looking at the situation and said my husband was going to catch him, but what if I was wrong? I can't stop thinking about it, I really didn't even think hard on it until yesterday morning when I kind of had an ah-ha moment and it dawned on me as to what could of happened to our beautiful boy :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Nov. 18, 2013 in General Parenting

• That must've been terrifying. Can you talk to a professional about your feelings?
    KPBMom

Answer by KPBMom at 9:28 AM on Nov. 18, 2013

• Don't kick yourself in the ass for something that didn't actually happen. Just see it as a learning opportunity.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:43 AM on Nov. 18, 2013

• Sometimes things like this happen to remind us to keep on our toes before something else happens. So heed the warning feeling you have which is very normal & make sure to be careful next time. I was at my Mom's house & she has an in ground pool. My Mom, my Son who was 2 1/2 at the time & I were taking a walk in the yard. I went to get something on the patio & left my Mom to watch my Son. My Son saw something near the pool & I heard my Mom scream & my Son was running for the pool. I don't think my feet hit the ground & I grabbed him right before he went in. She was frozen on the spot. I could not believe she just did not move. After thinking about it, I came to the realization that she hasn't had small children to care for in years & just isn't used to them darting. So probably you have never been in a situation where your Son could run into harms way before but now you have & will be prepared next time.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:48 AM on Nov. 18, 2013

• Big hugs Mama, I know exactly how you feel. I was at playgroup with my youngest son. The mom hosting had a built in pool and jacuzzi in the back yard, and I was sitting with a couple of other moms at the edge of the jacuzzi, feet in the water, talking and watching our toddlers splash in the water, when all of a sudden my little boy stepped off the seat into the deeper water, I froze, it was like my brain didn't quite register what was happening, and my friend jumped and grabbed my son. He's now 22. I hadn't spoken to her in years, and a couple of weeks ago we found each other on facebook. I thanked her (because I still think of that moment) she didn't even remember the incident.

I've never had another moment like that when I didn't react quickly enough thankfully, I'm sure the next time, you'll react.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:24 AM on Nov. 18, 2013

• I think "mom guilt" comes with the territory. We have all had our moments.

When things like that happened, I would say "Another point for mom of the year Award". We are human and mess up.
    life goes on.

I am so glad he didn't get hurt !! Just keep redirecting those negative thoughts.......
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 10:36 AM on Nov. 18, 2013

• Ive had that same thing happen. I was at a parade with my 9 month baby, and a close girlfriend. A little poodle ran out, and spooked a big draft horse. He ran straight at the stroller my son was in. I froze. I didnt know what to do. I was paralyzed. My friend grabbed the baby and took off. Quickest thing I ever saw. The stroller was trampled but the baby was safe. I just thanked God and my friend that my son was safe. I could beat myself up over it, but I didn't do it on purpose. It was like I couldn't process what was happening. I'll never forget that moment though, and that was 28 years ago.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 4:23 PM on Nov. 18, 2013

• What if

What if

What if

What if

What if I just decided that answering to this post is just a big waste of time. Grr

lullaby572

Answer by lullaby572 at 3:05 PM on Nov. 24, 2013