to anyone in sales

I just got a new job for a company who is just now expanding to the US market. I get to work mostly from home and just meet with clients two days a week. I feel really good about it since I'm offering something companies use anyway for cheaper....great in this economy. However, I'm getting soooo nervous about making sales calls over the phone. I am good with words (I'm also a copywriter) so that isn't a worry; but I've never had to actually BE one of those annoying sales people calling at the worst times. It's B2B, so at least nobody will be interrupted at dinner...but how can I calm my nerves and make the best impression? Are there any tricks of the trade to make the process easier??? To get past the gateskeepers? Any more experienced sales professionals who have tips to get my rolling would be much appreciated. This job has a high income potential and I don't wanna mess it up!

ErinHill226

Asked by ErinHill226 at 7:35 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

• Be cheerful.

Have something important to say.

Talk quickly but match your tempo to theirs.

A good gatekeeper is your best friend because if you can get them to "vouch" for you then that is going to say a lot.

Use Topix.com to pull up local news/weather/sports in the area. People love to talk about high school sports and rain (there is never enough rain).

Picking up the phone and dialing is the hardest part. But never hang up until you get a confirmation on your next call - "John Doe, so I will send you that information and talk to you next month on the 15th - sound good?"

Remember - you are not a telemarketer. You are a sales professional. They are going to buy the product - might as well be from you. Focus on building a relationship and you will do fine.

Jeff Gitomer has a bunch of good books plus a great website.

Good luck!
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 7:44 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I at one time was the gatekeeper..lol I would suggest that whomever you talk to you should be clear on who you are, what you are calling in regards to and if you could leave your number and email address. You can ask if there is a certain individual you can speak with yet chances are they will "not be there" or "in a meeting"- ask if there is a general email that you could send information to so if it is of interest it will get forwarded to the right person. Don't be nervous, the worst thing that could happen is they say that they aren't interested. I have dealt with some great sales people and when I come across a great one I have always kept his/her card for future use. It pays to be nice and not pushy. :) Good luck with your new job!
    candygirl1030

Answer by candygirl1030 at 7:47 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I think the most important thing is to remember that you are there to help the customer; you're not trying to sell them something, you're offering to improve their business and save them money. Other than that the best advice I have is to be very conscious of your tone of voice, and remember that the person on the other end can hear you smile. I always try to come off as a hyper, bubbly, excited person!
    Arismama05

Answer by Arismama05 at 7:47 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I am actually in direct sales, and I hate making phone calls. One thing that works for me is having a mirror on my desk when I do. That helps me to keep a smile on my face even if the call is not going my way. So, if I don't get the desired results the person I'm talking to doesn't hear it in my voice. You don't want to sound desperate. Let them know you just want to offer them information so they can make an informed decision.
    lvaughn26

Answer by lvaughn26 at 7:53 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I have been in Marketing (telemarketing, direct, B2B, etc...) for a LONG time... The phone has never been a problem for me. PM me with more info about WHY you are calling and I would be happy to help!
    Bentyswife

Answer by Bentyswife at 1:26 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• ALWAYS make friend w/the GK!
    Bentyswife

• Super awesome trick- smile when you are talking. You sound friendly and approachable when you do.
    Anonymous

• the first call is always the hardest to make. I don't know if you have a script or talktimes that you have to adhere to, but take a minute to build rapport with the gatekeeper. That initial contact may not work out but at a follow up call they'll remember you and maybe more receptive, good luck.
    mikenmisty

Answer by mikenmisty at 12:14 PM on Feb. 24, 2009