Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Christmas!!!! aghhhh

Ok i came here for help. Im a single mom of 3 and have no idea where to get help on my rent. Im 3 months behind due to my job closing down and i cant find a job no where! Does anyone know anywere hiring and or a program that will help ? I live in springfield mo. How can i buy presents for my kids if any and all my money goes on rent!!!! Sorry im venting to you girls its just so stressful. Im sure their is programs for christmas too i just cant find any....

Answer Question

Asked by lhornbeck at 1:06 PM on Nov. 18, 2013 in General Parenting

Level 2 (8 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • Try the Salvation Army, although I'm pretty sure their sign up period has passed? You can call 211 to find services in your area. There are tons of resources where I live, I'm sure there are in other places too.

    Answer by missanc at 1:14 PM on Nov. 18, 2013

  • Have you applied for assistance through the government? If so talk to your case worker and see if she has any leads in your area.
    Frankly I am surprised that you are still in an apartment you haven't paid for in 3 months. Your landlord is something.
    Are you not receiving unemployment?

    Answer by Dardenella at 1:23 PM on Nov. 18, 2013

  • You might try Catholic Charities as well.

    Answer by Dardenella at 1:28 PM on Nov. 18, 2013

  • Go to your local Social Services Office Today & they will help you with everything. Churches for food & toys too. GL!

    Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:56 PM on Nov. 18, 2013

  • You really need to go to your local Social Services office and apply for everything they have... money, food stamps, electricity assistance, etc. Do everything. Some of those programs automatically qualify you for others, like if you get electricity assistance, you automatically qualify for food pantry help. Be very truthful about your needs. Then ask them for private help info like the Salvation Army. If they say their window of applications is closed, go talk to them anyway. Ive worked for them before, and there is usually money for extra cases or special circumstances. Talk to everybody.

    Answer by Nimue930 at 2:19 PM on Nov. 18, 2013

  • Contact your local police department and get on the Blue Santa program. Dept. of Social Services can get you on TANF so give them a call.

    Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:55 PM on Nov. 18, 2013

  • Did you apply for unemployment? Where is family?

    Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:32 PM on Nov. 18, 2013

  • Have you tried looking on Craigslist or in the newspaper for jobs? A lot of places should be hiring for the holidays. I know, its probably just going to be a temp job, but someone may hire you and keep you after the holidays if you are a good enough worker.

    Answer by hopeandglory53 at 7:46 PM on Nov. 18, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.