Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Had a fender bender and the guilty party wants to pay cash. Have you ever done this?

Either accepted them paying cash or paid for someone else's repairs instead of going through insurance?

I will start by saying that it's not major. She rear ended me while I was moving slowly in a lane that yields to oncoming traffic. So I was inching along. Not sure if she thought I was moving faster, but she bumped into me. Put a dent in the plastic of the bumper and scraped it up. She said she would prefer to pay cash if possible since she has two daughters that have had accidents this year and she doesn't want to get cancelled. I don't really care who pays, just as long as it gets fixed.

Here is my issue and wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to handle this. I can get estimates for repair to the bumper and for the Styrofoam absorber under the plastic piece, along with rental car costs. The problem is that they repair shops can't say for sure that there is not more damage until they actually have the bumper off so they can see the components under there. So even if I were to let her pay cash instead of filing a claim, she would have to pay up front for the initial repairs. How then, would I be guaranteed that she will pay for any additional damage found under the bumper if there is any (if I am going off of how it looks from the outside, I'm betting there isn't more damage but I'm not a technician so anything is possible)?


Asked by QuinnMae at 1:56 PM on Nov. 18, 2013 in Money & Work

Level 48 (292,708 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • I would go by the book. Call & make a report. How do you know she will pay you ever! Unless you are willing to pay yourself without anything probably from her then try it but be prepared to receive nothing.

    Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:59 PM on Nov. 18, 2013

  • ALWAYS go through insurance

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:00 PM on Nov. 18, 2013

  • ALWAYS go thru insurance.

    Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:30 PM on Nov. 18, 2013

  • Never ever allow this to happens there are people out there ready to scam you, and this is the reason we carry insurance always call the cops and report to the insurance Co.

    Answer by older at 2:24 PM on Nov. 18, 2013

  • You would not and that is the risk.

    Answer by Dardenella at 2:32 PM on Nov. 18, 2013

  • ALWAYS file with the insurance company. You can't guarantee she will hold up her end of it. If she bails, you are the one who foots the bill.

    Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:27 PM on Nov. 18, 2013

  • I've done it. I reversed without looking properly and accidentally hit a parked car. He had an estimate done and the repairs came to 210€. My insurance has a 250€ deductible. There would have been no point in going through the insurance.

    If I had refused to pay, he could have filed a complaint for hit-and-run with the police ...

    Answer by goldpandora at 4:47 AM on Nov. 19, 2013