Have you ever gotten hurt in public and had people just ignore you?

Years back I was walking back from the library,and stepped off the curb funny and hurt my ankle pretty bad. I sat down on the curb because I felt like i was going to be sick. I was in so much pain,i couldn't even speak. People kept coming and going and not one person asked me if i was ok or needed help
What they thought i was doing sitting there on the curb with a bag full of books in my lap is beyond me
I finally got up and very painfully hobbled home
Last year I saw this man fall really hard in Target. I ran over to him to see if he was ok,but he was out cold. I told my husband to go get an employee. While I sat with him,people just walked around us like i had spilled a jar of something on the floor,not like there was a man unconscious on the floor in front of them.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 1:58 PM on Nov. 18, 2013 in Just for Fun

• It has never happened to me, but recently I went to a busy shopping center and when I got out of the car I heard a cry for help...I looked around and saw a handicap man that was trying to lift himself up on a van with one of those lifts but his wheel chair turned on him and fell.  He had a finger caught in the mechanism and was bleeding profusely. I went immediately to help him but he was a very heavy man and I could not lift him, I started screaming for help and people just kept passing us by and no one would stop! Finally I helped him get his finger out the one caught in the mechanism...and managed to sit him up on the floor, but I could not lift him into his chair.  

Answer by older at 2:22 PM on Nov. 18, 2013

• People suck.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:19 PM on Nov. 18, 2013

• Me personally, I was very pregnant with my Daughter & reached into a pail to retrieve my Son's ice skates at his Preschool. Skating was part of the curriculum. Anyway, I fell inside the huge pail, it tipped over with me in it & I was so stunned & worried that I just laid there for a bit ready to cry or laugh since I felt OK & no one asked me if I needed help. Mind you that all the other Mom's were waiting in their cars facing the front of the Preschool & the skate pails.

I was picking up a pizza with my DH when an elderly Man fell in the parking lot & just layed there. I was waiting in the car with the kids while my DH went in for the pie. When I saw he fell, I jumped out & ran over to help when my Dh came out & ran over. The Man's Daughter was in the Restaurant & came out so I offered to call 911 & she said no. MY DH helped the Man to the car & they left.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:05 PM on Nov. 18, 2013

• It took me 45 minutes before someone came to help! I was so disgusted at the human race just then, this young man helped me get him in the chair and we waited for the rescue to come, his finger was bleeding profusely..  so I took off my workout shirt and wrapped it tight around his wound to stop the bleeding..but we sat and chatted while we waited.  came out of this experience with a sense of sadness, people do not want to get involved for fear of what??? getting sued????it took me a while to once again believe in the human soul.

• My now fiance and i went to a massive event one summer, we live in az, and we had to wait in line first to get in. There was literally thousands of people around us. We werent alloeed to bring water in, so no one had any with them during the wait.

It was july or august, hottest time of the year here probably, 110, and add in the thousands of stagnant people, it was disgustingly hot.

I kept complaining i didnt feel good to my fiance and suddenly i got dizzy, saw black and stars and collapsed with heat exhaustion.
    No one did anything. Other than him when he picked me up off the ground. We were right at the front and no one that even worked there got first aid or water for me.

It was ridiculous. Heat exhaustion or heat stroke can be extremely dangerous.

If i see somene needing help, i dont hesitate to come forth and do what i can.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:23 PM on Nov. 18, 2013

• Last Spring, I was on my home after picking up my dau from school, when I saw a women laying in the grassy area next to the road. I thought maybe she'd been hit by a car or just collapsed there. So I pulled in a driveway close to her & yelled out my window to her. No response. So I handed my dau my cell phone & told her I may need her to call 911. I parked the car, walked over to the lady & was just about to do the shake & shout they teach you in CPR class, when she sits up & says, "You got a buck?" I about had a heart attack! I just told her I stopped to make sure she was OK & went on my way. I have to wonder how many cars drove by her that day. I will not hesitate to help someone, as long as it doesn't put me in danger. Isn't that what we're supposed to do for each other? :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:50 PM on Nov. 18, 2013

• Yeah. Guide dogs are not perfect, and my first one lit out after a squirrel once and ran me under the railing of an open staircase. The iron railing caught me across the bridge of the nose, and I hit the ground. The dog took off, and I think I saw what you people call colors. I wasn't impressed, just for the record. The dog did come back, but nobody else bothered to stop while I lay there on my back trying to get my world to stop spinning. You know the funny thing though? When I went back by that spot the next week, the open staircase had been remodeled so that it was walled in and you couldn't walk under it. Nobody bothered to pick my sorry ass up off the ground, but they sure were quick to fix it up so no one else could hit their head again and maybe sue.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:52 PM on Nov. 19, 2013

• I wouldn't stop and ask someone sitting on a curb if they need help. Unless I seen you get hurt or you ask me for help you're on your own. Now a few yrs ago I and a propane tank fall out of y truck and land on my foot, lots of people ran over to help ( because they seen it happen) yay broken foot!
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 2:40 PM on Nov. 18, 2013

• 20+ years ago, my brother was just a toddler, he was playing in the shopping cart and fell out, cracked his head open with blood everywhere. I was told not one person seemed to stopped and help. he is fine now though
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 5:27 PM on Nov. 18, 2013

• I have to wonder with the 2 examples where blood was involved, maybe people are afraid to get involved since most won't have gloves to protect themselves. Or they could be like me & be queasy at the sight of a lot of blood. I'm not saying I wouldn't help, but that could factor into it.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:48 PM on Nov. 18, 2013