Which should I get my son for Christmas?

My son had a leapster and it broke. He mentioned that he wanted a new one. I want to get one that has educational games and age appropriate. I don't want to spend a ton. He's 7, so I worried if I get him a leap pad or something that it would be too babyish for him. What do you think? I don't really know much about these games.

mlmsm928

Asked by mlmsm928 at 2:42 PM on Nov. 18, 2013 in Holidays

• Ipad.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 2:45 PM on Nov. 18, 2013

• What is your budget?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:49 PM on Nov. 18, 2013

• Kindle Fire is pretty reasonably priced for the 8 GB and you can download inexpensive educational apps instead of buying game cartridges.  

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:55 PM on Nov. 18, 2013

• Ipad.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:59 PM on Nov. 18, 2013

• My max would be 200...
    QuinnMae-what is the kindle fire. My son doesn't read too well yet.
    mlmsm928

Comment by mlmsm928 (original poster) at 3:09 PM on Nov. 18, 2013

• Kindle Fire is amazon's version of an Ipad. My husband has one. I DON'T recommend something like that for a 7 year old unless he's SUPER responsible with his stuff. My kids are 10 and 6, and the rare occassion when we let them play on Dad's Fire, they don't take care of it, fight over it, and leave it laying around for anyone to step on.

Quinn's answer has a link in it too. To a Kindle Fire. Just click on the words "Kindle Fire" in her post.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:11 PM on Nov. 18, 2013

• Also, you can set the amount of time he can play on the Fire, so once his allotted amount of time is up he is done. I also recommend that you have rules for using and treatment of any electronic device. Also, you should look into buying a protective case for whatever you end up buying for your child, just so the new one doesn't break as well.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:57 PM on Nov. 18, 2013

• I would not buy my 7 year old child anything this expensive unless he had an excellent track record for maintaining his possessions, AND if it got broken, I'd be pretty sure it was truly an accident. Not an " I forgot I left it on the floor last night", or "i was just tossing it around a little". Those are kid things to do, and if a 7 year old does mostly kid things (like they should) then I would not put the pressure and expectations on him of an expensive gift that is meant for older people.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 9:41 PM on Nov. 18, 2013