2 year and biting

i have a 2 year old grandson soon to be 3 who bites if he doesn't get his own way. hes bit his brother, me and his uncle. how do we stop it.

carolina54

Asked by carolina54 at 6:17 PM on Nov. 18, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• bite him back

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:34 PM on Nov. 18, 2013

• Facilitate his communication. 2 year old bite because they are unable to effectively communicate their wants/needs/desires/emotions. If YOU become his voice and help him deal with his frustrations and/or whatever emotion he's experiencing at the time, he should stop biting fairly quickly.

HEY! That's MY truck! Give it back!!
    I'm SO MAD that this block won't go into this hole.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:53 PM on Nov. 18, 2013

• Normal for that age I think. I just bit them back so they knew how it felt. Told them to not bite any more.

Answer by louise2 at 9:15 PM on Nov. 18, 2013

• Biting back didn't help with my little Laura. She just continued to bite. I finally caught on that it was mostly towards her brother, and that HE WAS ANTAGONIZING HER. I started punishing HIM, he stopped doing whatever it was to her, she stopped biting.

Now, if I can only get my almost 1 year old to stop biting....(she mostly does it when she's tired).
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 1:48 AM on Nov. 19, 2013

• Yes, the behavior happens for a reason, so focus on addressing that reason with your response to it. Coming down solely on the behavior does not do this. Recognizing WHY he is biting when he bites, and conveying understanding for the feelings that are driving the behavior, is important. You said it happens when he doesn't get his way. So it's a matter of not knowing what else TO do when he's feeling frustrated, angry, disappointed, powerless, outraged... Those kinds of feelings involved in grieving a loss (finding that you weren't able to make things go your way) are hard for older humans to manage, let alone someone who is almost 3. This is the guidance you offer.
    When at all possible, be preemptive or proactive & prevent the behavior from happening. At the same time, focus on showing empathy, not disapproval. Convey understanding for why he bit (or if you managed to prevent, show empathy for how he's feeling) & encourage him
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 3:39 AM on Nov. 19, 2013

• to ask for help, instead.
    You show empathy by verbalizing what happened. He wanted that truck; it looked so fun, and it was hard to wait his turn, so he bit to make brother let go. Or he really wanted another cookie, but grandma said No! This is not a time for explaining reasons why he can't have more sweets or telling him he "needs" to wait, it's a time for expressing understanding for how it feels. Show that you fully understand: he just bit because he was (frustrated, so mad, wanted to make things go his way), but biting hurts, so when he feels like biting, ask for help instead.
    This isn't instant or automatic, but something you reinforce each time. This is how you offer guidance.
    Let him/them know you're sorry you didn't get there sooner. Say you know he just needs help.
    Also, make more room for his emotional expression. If he can't cry hard or be openly angry to shed those feelings, he will "express" them behaviorally.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 3:48 AM on Nov. 19, 2013