Sigh 99.9 fever

So my daughter came home on Friday just dragging. ALL she wanted to do was cuddle in my lap, which is NOT normal for her, especially when Grampa is home.

Well, that also happened to be the day my son had his well child check up. Thankfully, the doc was willing to squeeze her in as well. She was running a low-grade fever then, her tonsils were swollen, but the doc couldn't see any white spots. Her breath HAD been smelling foul all last week, even after brushing her teeth.

Doc gave me an Rx for amoxicillin and said if she got worse to go ahead and fill it. She got worse Friday night. Saturday morning I filled the Rx. He said it's most likely strep, but since i had her in so early, it was hard to tell.

She's almost back to normal here at home, but her appetite isn't quite back to normal. I just took her temperature and she's right at 99.9. Per the school district, if it's 100 or more I have to keep her home.

Sigh. I WANT to send her back, but not if she's not ready yet. This is one of those times when I almost wish I didn't try so hard to be responsible. Guess she'll be home with me again tomorrow. I'll recheck her temp in the morning, but I don't think she'll be ready to go back yet.

Rosehawk

Asked by Rosehawk at 10:34 PM on Nov. 18, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Good mom, keep her home so she doesn't infect the whole class..let her get better,get her appetite back too!
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 11:00 PM on Nov. 18, 2013

• It is also up to you as to whether she is ready to go back to school or not.
    Most schools also have a period of absence when starting on a medicine (like for strep) Here I think it is 48 hours unless they changed it, which would still allow her to go to school.
    You are the best judge of your child's health.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:05 PM on Nov. 18, 2013

• She has to be on the antibiotic for at least 24 hours before returning to school. She's been on it for 3 days now, so that's not an issue.

Nope, she's just not quite herself yet. I'd feel awful if she got someone else sick. According to everything I've read, she's not contagious anymore. But, the appetite and energy just aren't there for school all day.

Darn it, this puts such a crimp in my schedule (insert eye roll). Because we ALL know that we moms are the center of the universe, right? (insert another eye roll).

I think I'm done whining now.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 11:11 PM on Nov. 18, 2013