How do I get my daughter to go to bed at a different time?

I was wondering how I get my daughter to go to bed around 8:00 instead of midnight when she finally goes to sleep. Also, how do I get her to take naps at specific times? She sometimes won't nap at all during the day and others two 2 hour naps. What do I do?

she's over 3 months

littlewun

Asked by littlewun at 7:47 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How long does she sleep at night? what time does she wake up?
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 7:49 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I think shes too young for specific naps times just yet. She'll sleep when she's tired.
    Anonymous

• Her daytime sleep is still developing. She won't have 3 set nap times until about 5 months.
    I'd really suggest you read (Hah! I know... read... yah right!) the book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child". Even if you don't follow his sleep training advice, the info on how sleep patterns develop in children and how to help them get enough sleep is great. The website www.familysleep.com is helpful too.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:58 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• as for the night i would say slowly try moving the bedtime up maybe 5 or ten minutes every night, thaat is what i did with my son and he is three months old. naptimes are a daily struggle here too. i finaly got him consistely going down for a two hour nap at four but the rest of the day is up in the air!! Good luck!!
    Mgirly84

Answer by Mgirly84 at 8:52 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• she goes down at night whenever she really likes. She sometimes doesn't go down until 1:00 or so. It's like I set her down and she begins to scream or if I sit down while holding her she'll begin to scream, but once you pick her up and walk around she's fine. She sometimes won't even act tired. She won't go down until after I've fed her. What am I doing wrong??
    littlewun

Answer by littlewun at 9:15 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• She's NOT too young for regular naps. This is the perfect time to start putting her down at certain times of the day. My dd takes 3 naps- at around 9am, noon and 3pm. She goes to bed at 7:15pm. Sometimes baby don't know what they need. It's wrong to just assume a baby will make every decision in his/her life. YOU are the boss, not the baby. I'm definitely PRO parent-led scheduling. My daughter would NEVER nap if I left it up to her to make the decision!!

At 3 months old, 3-4 naps is a good place to start. A baby of that age can't go more than 2 hours before needing a nap (usually). Start by putting her down for a nap 2 hours afer she wakes up in the morning. Then, when she wakes from the nap, put her down 2 hours afterwards, etc.

Try to establish a regular daily routine.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:42 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• so, when you put the baby down for a nap, what if they scream the whole time? How do you get them to sleep?
    littlewun

Answer by littlewun at 11:31 PM on Feb. 19, 2009