Morning vs. Nighttime Rituals

I just got my five-year-old in bed, and I started thinking about the vast difference between the morning and nighttime rituals around here.

At night, she has to have her inhaler, of hourse. She gets her gummy vitamin, her tteeth brushed, her bedtime story. Her night music, her Dream Lite, her Flashlight Friend. Her special blanket. Her last drink of water. Her bedtime graham cracker. Her final hug and kiss. None of this can be missed, or she won't fall asleep. The door has to be closed, but not all the way. Cracked open, just so.

But in the morning, she has to be reminded of every little thing. Did you put on underwear? Oh yeah. Socks? Check the tags; you don't want your clothes on backward. Hurry up, you need plenty of time to eat breakfast. Don't forget your jacket; it's freezing out. Wait, you're forgetting your backpack. No, you can't leave without your inhaler. Stop, you don't have shoes on! You'd leave your head behind if it wasn't screwed on tight!

How can one child who never misses a thing at night be so scatter-brained in the morning?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 10:47 PM on Nov. 18, 2013 in General Parenting

• sounds like a normal kid to me!
    that's how mine were too ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:49 PM on Nov. 18, 2013

• LOL Gotta love the masters of procrastination. Kids are amazingly talented when it comes to avoiding what they don't want to do, like go to bed.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:51 PM on Nov. 18, 2013

• lol because she isn't doing everything in her power to stay up just a couple minutes longer .
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:59 PM on Nov. 18, 2013

• EXACTLY what Dardanella said!

Answer by gdiamante at 9:18 AM on Nov. 19, 2013

• my 8 year old is the same way we made up a song so that he can remember what he needs to do in the morning
    n8nnickmom

Answer by n8nnickmom at 9:54 AM on Nov. 19, 2013