Has anyone heard of a child getting chicken pox even tho shots are up to date?

This morning I noticed my son had what looked like a cold sore on his lip this morning. I was concerned but not really worried. When I went to give him a bath tonight, I noticed his cheek, stomach, back, shoulders and legs with a rash and he's complaining about it itching. Concerned about chicken pox but he's up to date on his vaccinations. I will be calling the Dr in the morning, but just wondering if anyone is familiar with getting chicken pox after being vaccinated

kyheavensmom

Asked by kyheavensmom at 11:11 PM on Nov. 18, 2013 in Health

• Both of my sons got the chicken pox even though they had the vaccines. DD did not get the pox, even though she was exposed through her brothers when they got it (she was 4 the first time, 7 the second.) It's more common than one thinks, I believe.

The good news is that he should have some immunity and have a less severe case. And he will have natural immunity, which means no more chicken pox boosters.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:34 AM on Nov. 19, 2013

• One of my sons got chicken pox twice.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:02 AM on Nov. 19, 2013

• The vaccine allows chicken pox to occur but develops a mutated form of it. Chocken pox it's probably the most pointless vaccine created if not all. Even the CDC states you will more than likely still develop the chicken pox.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:25 AM on Nov. 19, 2013

• IT doesn't actually sound as if your son has chicken pox. It shows as red spots not a rash. He may just have developed an allergy to something. Detergent? Soap?
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 4:27 AM on Nov. 19, 2013

• ok, thanks ladies! I'm just waiting for the Dr office to open so I can see if I can bring him in. It looks like a lot have cleared up over night, but he's still itching. I don't think it's chicken pox anymore but maybe what Goldpandora says, an allergic reaction. But Thanks again everyone :)
    kyheavensmom

Comment by kyheavensmom (original poster) at 7:34 AM on Nov. 19, 2013

• You can still get a mild case even if you have had the shot. My Son gets weird bumps in the winter too. Keep us updated. Hope he feel better soon.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:10 AM on Nov. 19, 2013

• I would go in and have the scrape the sores and do a culture of it, you can get shingles even with the chickenpox vaccine. I have been through this, and you need to ask them to do a culture to see exactly what it is.
    I hope he feels better soon!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 12:39 PM on Nov. 19, 2013

• Yes you can still get them even with the vaccine. The severity should not be as bad though.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:38 PM on Nov. 19, 2013