Breast feeding/pumping advice

I am due in just a couple weeks. I want to breast feed/pump with this one. I was not successful without first child because I was supplementing formula occasionally and not pumping to keep my supply up (I was very clueless).
Is there any advice you can give to have a more successful experience this time around. I do plan on pumping too so that my husband and our son can bond with the baby too.
Also I have to lansinoh automatic pump, is that a reliable pump?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 AM on Nov. 19, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Let me be honest, feeding isn't the best way for them to bond and can get in your way. Dad bathes and diapers. Brother helps and sits with you and sings to baby. All of these are interactive things and will create bonding. Feeding isn't bonding for an infant; they pay no attention to who's feeding them.

Save bottles for when you are NOT present. Dad can feed when you're gone. 1 - 1.25 ounces per hour of separation, NO MORE, and that's a forever number. Bottle servings of 2-3 ounces.

The Lansinoh is OK for occasional pumping.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:40 AM on Nov. 19, 2013

• Pumping never worked well for me, even with a hospital grade pump. But for occasional feedings it shouldn't be a problem.

Answer by missanc at 10:06 AM on Nov. 19, 2013

• Join the breastfeeding group under the green "groups and conversations" tab above. Lots of support and help there. GL and congrats!
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:40 AM on Nov. 19, 2013

• Baby is the best pump you will ever get. There's no need for a man made pump unless you plan to go back to work. Even then you may not ever use it. Advent manual pump if you must.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:42 PM on Nov. 19, 2013