Where would be the best place to look

I bought five pairs of pants for my daughter online. They fit fine in the waist, but the legs need to be hemmed up. I could probably do it myself,but for the sake of time, energy, and basic aesthetics, I'd like to find a local seamstress. I have a friend who could do them, but by the time she'd get around to it, the pants would no longer need to be hemmed. Where would be the best place to find someone, and how much should I expect to pay? Thanks.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 10:49 AM on Nov. 19, 2013 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Try the hemming tape! No sewing required!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:53 PM on Nov. 19, 2013

• $15 a pair? OUCH! That's $75! For $15 a pair mark them where they need hemed and ship them to me. I'll do them for you for less then that. It's not difficult to hem pants. If you have a sewing store (JoAnn's, etc) check with them. They might be able to recommend someone who does it cheap. I know my mom does it for basic pants at $5 a pair. If they're fancier then it might be a couple of more dollars. You can also check with your local 4-H extension office, Home Ec teachers, etc to see if they have any recommendations.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:07 AM on Nov. 19, 2013

• Can't you just roll them up?
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:44 PM on Nov. 19, 2013

• Could be about $15 a pair. That's what we pay here. Try a Dry Cleaner. Usually they do that.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:51 AM on Nov. 19, 2013

• Call a sewing store in your area. They usually have recommendations.

Another thing... my granddaughter is short and we are having some issue with jeans fitting her. We found that the stretch Levi jeans fit her really well, and she loves them. They are easier to adjust the leg length on.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:25 AM on Nov. 19, 2013

• look under tailors and alterations in the phone book. I have no idea what they might charge.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:40 AM on Nov. 19, 2013

• Yes, I was going to say hem tape as well!
    It is an iron on hemmer, it is tape that you fold the pants to the desired length and use an iron to hem them, if you don't usually iron the pants, it is great because you can let them out, later.
    Now if the pants need more than a couple of inches off them, you will have to get someone to hem them, we pay $15 per pair for my husband's pants, so hem tape would be much cheaper.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 1:37 PM on Nov. 19, 2013

• Alterations can be done at a dry cleaner or search alterations/ tailor We pay $8.00 a pair here. Kids clothes are a bit cheaper than adults clothes. Perhaps if you offer your friend ten dollars it might entice her to get it done sooner.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:52 AM on Nov. 20, 2013

• Ouch! I paid less than half that much for each pair on clearance at Target.com. If I can't find a better deal than that, I'll have to do them myself. My friend will do them for free, she's just poky about it.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 11:22 AM on Nov. 19, 2013

• I only wish my daughter would wear jeans. She never has liked them. She has a fit. She hates the scratchy feel of the denim on her skin, always has. She insists on soft pants.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 11:47 AM on Nov. 19, 2013