Anyone know anything about drums?

Buying a drum set, I have found them from anywhere from $399, to $5000, okay the $5000 is out, but every drum store salesperson tells me something different.
If it helps I would like something that could be played for a long time, and that my husband and my kids could play.
I am so lost.
How much should you pay for a nice quality drum set? Feel free to educate me! Brands, etc.

2kids2dogs2cats

Asked by 2kids2dogs2cats at 12:29 PM on Nov. 19, 2013 in Shopping

• Unfortunately, I know all about setting them up! LOL I'll be over on Christmas Eve!

I had five in my house- we just shipped one out yesterday, and we are donating one (the Stage Star) to an autistic child for his birthday wish on Friday, so we'll be down to THREE! (You have no idea how happy this makes me!) Hubby is going back to playing bass, and we can't afford to keep it all- space wise or $$ wise.

As far as being durable, the Stage Star is about 11 years old, was played by my son, my husband (who plays with a very heavy hand but is meticulous about caring for the shells), and was also in the possession of two separate 5 year old girls who we loaned them to at various times. It is still in great condition.

I just saw a Gretsch kit online for like $279, but it's here in PA and you'd have to pay to have it shipped. If you go on ebay, search for something that might be local pickup that you can save $$ on shipping.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:44 PM on Nov. 19, 2013

• You can get something decent for about $500. Adding pro hardware and cymbals will cost more.

Look for something like a Tama Swing Star or Stage Star. That was my son's first kit, and my hubby uses it as a practice kit 'cause it's small.

Try eBay. You can probably get a good deal on something used. It's a warehouse of pre-owned musical equipment!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:39 PM on Nov. 19, 2013

• Pearl is a good brand, I don't know anything about the Explorer Kit, but they're an old brand and high quality. As for used. With drums, I wouldn't be too worried about buying used. it's not like buying electronics, there's not as much to go wrong with them.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:05 PM on Nov. 19, 2013

• They're noisy! *Covering ears.* Good luck!

Just kidding. I know nothing. Here's a bump.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:55 PM on Nov. 19, 2013

• Pearl is ok. And the size of the bass drum is irrelevant. That is up to the player and the sound that they want. My hubby plays a 26" bass on stage.
    Take a look at musiciansfriend.com, they have some of the best prices, and no salesman to influence you. The salesman is going to try to sell you something higher priced, or something that's been on the floor for a while since you know ZERO about drums.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:59 PM on Nov. 19, 2013

• You say husband and kids. What age are the kids? I wouldn't buy a good quality drum set if I knew by 7 year old was using it but if a child is in his teens or respects them no problem. Something else you might want to consider is if your child is in band asking the band director what he would recommend. Especially if that is where the kids would be using them.

I also agree with looking on Ebay. You just may come away with a fantastic deal. Only thing is watch for shipping costs. It's a large item so shipping could be higher then buying in a store. Unless someone has really abused their drums (which you could see from marks on the outside) there's not much that could go wrong. Drum heads occasionally need replaced. Music shops also get trade ins on drum sets and with the Christmas season coming up you might score a set that way. Just ask them to call you if it should happen.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:19 PM on Nov. 19, 2013

• you could check craigslist too- we found some nice ones on there but were more than we wanted to spend for my son

nothing wrong with a used set- you could always replace the heads and whatnot.

Drums are a never ending thing to spend on...hubby is never done spending on his *getting better cymbals, replacing drum sticks...new/ better heads...more pieces...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:35 PM on Nov. 19, 2013

• I am nervous to buy something used, thanks for the tips, I am going to leave this open in case anyone has more advice.
    Have you heard of Pearl?
    Something called a pearl explorer kit, with good cymbals and chair, for $739, it has an 18 inch bass drum, on sales guy said that is better than a 20 inch?
    2kids2dogs2cats

Comment by 2kids2dogs2cats (original poster) at 12:42 PM on Nov. 19, 2013

• Thanks! I was on the website earlier, and they have much better prices than the 2 stores I have been to! Now will you come over and put it together for me?
    2kids2dogs2cats

Comment by 2kids2dogs2cats (original poster) at 2:01 PM on Nov. 19, 2013

• Okay I am going to come back and ask about a couple I found on Ebay, as far as brands and pricing, this is a secret from my husband, because he would know exactly what to buy, it is a family Christmas gift, my suprise!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Comment by 2kids2dogs2cats (original poster) at 2:23 PM on Nov. 19, 2013