Have you ever wanted to mention that you want to do something nice for someone but then you think "no, they'd think your an idiot."

I know a guy that got his arms grinded up in a corn grinder or something like that. something they use on a farm. he lost his right hand and his left is still attached. I saw this fund raiser on facebook where you can donate $ towards it but i'm not into that and plus, I don't know his family that well and we were never friends in school. I just know him from school and that's it. also, there's people who want to be my friend on here that live near me, they also mention the fund raiser's for themselves or kids so I can donate but they end up deleting me and moving on - i'm just on the fence about people who aren't that close. anyway, I just wanted to send a card to wish him well but then thoughts came into my mind like "you'd be an excellent cook to help raise money" and "you should mention how you can help out" - I mean, I don't even know the guy personally but still want to help.

on the other hand, my mind is like "they got tons of help and support, you'd be an idiot to mention yourself"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:08 PM on Nov. 19, 2013 in Relationships

• If you want to help than help. I always look at it like this.... once the money or item has left my hands its up to them to decide what to do with it. My part is done. Who cares if they think you're an idiot? If its on your heart to help you should, without worrying what someone else may think.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 1:42 PM on Nov. 19, 2013

• A gift is given because you want to and for no other reason.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:09 PM on Nov. 19, 2013

• People can always use help. If you feel moved, do it. I personally believe that when God (insert the Universe, or whatever other force you want) nudges me to do something, there's a reason for it, whether I ever know what that reason is or not.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:49 PM on Nov. 19, 2013

• Oh, and on those FB fundraisers and stuff, you can always donate anonymously. There's a box to check, and your name won't be displayed.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:50 PM on Nov. 19, 2013

• I would say if you have some money to donate, why not? I mean you know the guy, so what would $5 be to get him a new hand, or some help on the farm? You might spend almost that on a card, and this way it goes towards helping him. As for the others it is on a case by case basis, I would me much more likely to donate towards an illness, rather than band costumes, kwim?
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 1:59 PM on Nov. 19, 2013

• Why do you care what people think? If you are doing something decent and honorable like donating money or time to help ANYONE, who are they to judge?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:36 PM on Nov. 19, 2013