my 3 month old's head stays cocked over to one side???

Okay I don't know if this is normal or not BUT no matter which way I lay my 3 month old or even if I sit her up she keeps her head tilted to the right side!!! she can turn her head right and left but no matter what it is stays tilted !! COULD THIS BE BECAUSE HER NECK MUSCLES AREN'T STRONG ENOUGH or could this be a PROBLEM for her in the future???? please help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:54 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• does she move it around? Mine prefers to keep her head to the left, but she moves it around back and forth, she just likes to look left all the time :) As long as she can move around she should be fine. Ask your doc if it's really making you concerned.
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 7:56 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• she can move head right and left But doesn't straighten it out... IT STAYS TILTED no matter which way she turns... and she doesn't switch ( by switch i mean she doesn't tilt it left or straight It is always leaning towards the right
    Anonymous

• Bring it up with your doctor. It may be fine or it may indicate a probelm. Best to let him take a look and either ease your mind or get you the help he needs.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:07 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• when my son was about that age his doctors were concerned because he did that too. i cant remember what they said made them so concerned about it but i do know that it was something easily fixed (no surgery or anything like that). he grew out of it but i think you should speak to the dr about it if you are concerned and see what they think.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 8:08 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• She could have torticollis (where the muscles on one side of the neck are shorter). One of my daughter's had it. She eventually got better (we had to do some exercises with her). She kept getting a yeast infection on that side of her neck though because it was next to impossible to keep it dry.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 8:11 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• could be an ear infection or torticollis
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 8:12 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• my son has reflux and when we took him to the specialist he said that sometimes babies with reflux tend to cock their head to one side because it feels better. not sure if its true or not but that is what he told me.
    Mgirly84

Answer by Mgirly84 at 8:49 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I saw something like that on a medical show. In that case it was a problem with the eyes and the kid was tilting their head to focus.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 8:55 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I agree, ask your peditrican about it. It could be torticollis, also know as "wry neck." My DD had this as well. It's essentially scarring or shortening of the muscles on one side of the neck. Position in the womb & birth trama can lead to this. Sleeping in a semi-upright position (in a car seat, swing) more often than not can make previous muscle injuries in the neck worse.

DD's torticollis was resolved through PT excercises we did ourselves at home upon doctor recommendation just after her 3 month check-up. We also had to lay her to sleep a particular way, hold her a certain way, feed her with the favored sized against are arm to help keep her head stretched. In a month we had noticable improvement. By the time she was walking (10 months old) you'd never know she had had any issues. Some children require PT with a therapist. Some require temporary use of a brace or other treatments. IF this is it, it is managable.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 9:47 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• THANK YOU EVERY ONE I AM TAKING HER TO THE DOC TOMORROW :)
    Dylansmommy2006

Answer by Dylansmommy2006 at 9:54 PM on Feb. 19, 2009