EMT's/paramedics/firemen! How do you handle childcare when you are on-call? Since it is unpredictable?

I am going to college to learn the EMS profession! I am excited about my decision and have done my research about the pros and cons. I have read how 12 hour shifts are common and EMT's are on-call when home. I have two young children and no trustworthy neighbors so I couldn't just drop them off next door...how do you handle childcare if you are on-call??

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 7:43 PM on Nov. 19, 2013 in Money & Work

• If you are working for a private service you might not have to do on call!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:45 PM on Nov. 19, 2013

• I think what luv is referring to, is it's going to be very difficult to pull this off without a live in, family member, friend, neighbor, etc. Working as an EMT can require 12 on 12 off, or 24 on 24 off. It's very difficult for a single person with children to manage.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:24 PM on Nov. 19, 2013

• Oh, and you don't have to actually work on the ambulance once you graduate. Many work in the ER as Technicians.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:25 PM on Nov. 19, 2013

• When I was a volunteer EMT/Firefighter, we were lucky enough to live two blocks from my parents. IF I responded, my daughters knew to head on over there, or to our friends next door.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:43 PM on Nov. 19, 2013

• Also, many times children were left at the fire station. Our dispatcher was a babysitter to many children for many years. :)
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:44 PM on Nov. 19, 2013

• I would look for a home day care that does 1st, 2nd, and 3rd shift drop in care. Here is a great website to help find a licensed home day care provider in your area- http://decal.ga.gov/ProviderSearch/SiteSearch.aspx?childcare=y&newsearch=y

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:47 PM on Nov. 19, 2013

• thank you ladies so much! All great advice :)
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 8:18 PM on Nov. 19, 2013

• Thank you crafty26 for the link. Unfortunately all of those daycares are in the city limits. Way out of the way from my home.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 8:56 PM on Nov. 19, 2013

• I would have to say live in sitter for something like this.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 9:01 PM on Nov. 19, 2013

• no offense but that's a terrible idea. The sitter would sleep on the floor in the living room. We have a 2 bedroom house.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 10:08 PM on Nov. 19, 2013