Should I let her quit or tell her to keep on going?

My daughter has been in the TAG program since third grade. She is currently a sophomore at a dual credit school and has asked if she can drop the TAG part of it. Not because the work is too hard, but because the projects are too time consuming and it interferes in her ability to focus on her other classes. Overall she feels her grades are suffering because she can't apply herself appropriately to her studies. Her lowest grade right now is a C+. Should I let her drop the TAG program, which would put her in less advanced classes, or have her stick it out? Which do you think would be the better option?

2autisticsmom

Asked by 2autisticsmom at 9:04 PM on Nov. 19, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• I was told I am telling her it's ok to just give up when things get too hard.

Nope... you are teaching her self preservation skills.... like knowing when it's OK to cut back so she isn't just doing the bare minimum on to many projects. If she has too much on her plate it's not good either.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:21 PM on Nov. 19, 2013

• I just don't like seeing her up until 2am working on projects when she has to get up at 5 am in order to catch the bus.

^^^ That is NOT alright. That means she has too much going on. She NEEDS 8 or more hours of sleep at this age for optimum brain performance. That kind of schedule is not healthy and will catch up to her soon. Sounds like she NEEDS to cut back!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:25 PM on Nov. 19, 2013

• It sounds like she knows her limits. She's going to do well and make you proud no matter what, so let her be the judge and quit if she feels like it's too much.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:17 PM on Nov. 19, 2013

• If she feels she will benefit from dropping it I would not stop her, she is a sophomore, I let my kids make some important choices then - I think they need that freedom.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 9:10 PM on Nov. 19, 2013

• I don't agree it is teaching her to quit, I think it is teaching her that she knows what she needs to do to make better grades and what she WANTS, teachers don't know whats best for our kids, WE DO
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 9:22 PM on Nov. 19, 2013

• SHIT, she is going to burn out before she graduates, def let her back off
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 9:32 PM on Nov. 19, 2013

• Listen to your daughter. If she wants out, fine. It sounds like she is ahead of the game.

If we push too hard, we can actually harm instead of help...
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 10:00 PM on Nov. 19, 2013

• I think I'd let her drop the TAG. If she feels that her grades, overall, are suffering because of TAG, then let her drop it.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:15 PM on Nov. 19, 2013

• is she on a TAG track or is the TAG a separate class? i took a higher level track in high school but was allowed to leave & join at a whim. i did 9th on track and quit for 10th...it was so boring without the higher level classes that i went back on it in 11th. but if she is only getting 3 hours of sleep a night, she should be done...thats just insane!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:40 PM on Nov. 19, 2013

• That is ridiculous. I would let her quit. That is way too little sleep and way too much work.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:51 PM on Nov. 19, 2013