Apartment help

Hello guys I really need help deciding on renewing my lease or moving on , so heres alittle insight as of whats been going on sigh. Okay from day one moving into this apartment it started off wrong , i asked for the 2nd floor they gave me 3rd and i learned of this on move in day and they told me I would be elgible for a homebuyer if i paid my rent on time every month and i would receive a statement in the mail evrymonth , unfortunately somebody lied because they marked me as late because i never got a statement so i figured rent wasn't due since we just moved in . My car got towed about 6 times in 3 months although i had a parking sticker my tag had just became expired when i had my son a month early and money became very tight , i have been living here for 2 years but they dont care about there tenants at all . I have to pay rent even if it falls on a holiday or weekend (instead of accepting it on Monday) there is a 3 day grace period for rent an if u fall late they charge u 100 bucks and the next month they charge a extra 100 even if u pay on time (if u have a late fee and dont pay it they will add 100 to ur rent every month) until u clear it . Also i have a 2bedroom and was looking to transfer to a 3 but they dont do transfers u have to move out and pay about 2000 all over again sigh i have 3 kids in which one of them (ds5) is autistic and needs his own space . Oh and each time my car got towed i had to pay 100 to get it out sigh guys this apartment is really drowning me and my family , please no mean comments looking down on me because everyone falls short sometime . My lease will be up december 31st but i have to renew by this month and clear about 1000 bucks in late fees before they let me renew sigh what should i do? I desperately need a bigger place and living here is scamming me out of money i dont have .

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 PM on Nov. 19, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Okay, I will go easy on your because I think you are sincere. I would not renew my lease. I would look for another place to start out fresh. Everyone deserves a fresh start. You can pull yourself and your finances together and start over. If you cannot afford your rent, you need to be pursuing all options for rental assistance that you can find. (I don't have any experience with them, I am sorry) I would also explain your issues to your family and see if any of them are willing to help you relocate. I know it takes money to get into a new place.... I had to help my daughter when she was without a place to live. I scraped together her deposit and rent so that she would be able to take that first month to get her affairs in order. Thank God she found a job....

Now is the not the time to be afraid to ask for help. Like I said, learn from this and move on. Start anew. Good luck to you.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:54 PM on Nov. 19, 2013

• Not sure what there is to decide. That place has treated you like crap so move out.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:21 AM on Nov. 20, 2013

• I will speak from the other side and hopefully you can avoid problems in the future.
    You pay your rent and the complex pays theirs. If you do not and they do not make their mortgage and charges they are charged late fees.
    I fyou owe $800. and you are late beyond the due date you are charged $100., which means you owe $900.. If you pay $800., you still owe the $100 which is a portion of your rent, so you will constantly be late, and acquiring more and more fees. This is bad on your credit and it is not their fault but it is yours.
    Both you and the landlord have to follow whatever is in the lease. If it is in your lease that your tag becomes expired if you do not pay your rent, they are simply following what you agreed to when you signed the lease .ALWAYS read the whole lease.
    The second floor to the third floor mix up is not great but it does happen, Your option would have been to not sign the papers,
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:33 AM on Nov. 20, 2013

• I would suggest that you move to a place that is more suited to your budget, BUT you will have to pay all the late fees before you are allowed to sign a new lease. All people see that as a risk not worth taking and almost all of the pull credit reports every time you apply or renew.
    I do believe in second chances, but you need to clean up the mess first.
    Second piece of advice, Inspect any apartment and take walking diary of ever portion of the new apartment, Make a disc for yourself and one for the apartment folder. Time stamped. This protects you when you eventually move out,
    Do NOT give notice until you have the conformation in you hand for the new place. Read the lease and clean it up to expectations,
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:44 AM on Nov. 20, 2013

• Didn't even read the whole thing. My answer is MOVE!!

Answer by louise2 at 7:43 AM on Nov. 20, 2013

• Move. Move now.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:00 AM on Nov. 20, 2013

• Everyone has hard times in life. I would move on to a more suitable place for you and your family---after you pay off your obligations. It appears that in the amount that you owe that you have been late several times. This will effect your credit rating---regardless. Most managers do background checks and this issue- paid off or not will be a problem and will show on your credit report for a minimum of 3 years.. Are you eligible for housing assistance? Have you asked family members to help you out???
    decor42

Answer by decor42 at 6:47 PM on Nov. 20, 2013