Can I still get my IUD inserted if I'm on my period?

I googled it and found mixed answers. Sooo...did anyone get Mirena inserted while they were actually on their period? I'm on day three or so of my first post-partum period (bleh, I know).

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 8:11 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Health

• I got mine inserted when I was on my period
    efmeador0709

Answer by efmeador0709 at 8:12 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I think they usually put them in while your on your period...... maybe so they know your not pregnant, im getting mine in a few weeks let me know how it goes im NERVOUS!!! Good luck!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 8:30 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I didn't have my period when I got it, but I had it withing 5 minutes of leaving the DR office, lol. So it's probably good to be on it already when you get it, so you don't get a period when you get it, then two week's later, lol.
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 8:51 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I was still bleeding PP and they put it in. So I would think they would put it in.
    ta2dirishlass

Answer by ta2dirishlass at 9:01 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• my doc asked that I get it put in while on my period but the idea of someone being near there during that time was too much for me, so i waited til the week after. He put the mirena in wrong and I got a terrible infection...Hooray for me.
    Lovemybabies885

Answer by Lovemybabies885 at 11:34 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Having it inserted while you have your period is actually desired because your cervix is a little softer and its easier to insert the IUD. However, I had both of mine inserted when I wasn't on my period, so it can be done either way.
    littlejreece

Answer by littlejreece at 6:13 PM on Feb. 20, 2009