Does your dog take arthritis medication?

If so, what and how did you get the diagnosis?

My dog is from a shelter. He is a senior. I got him in 2007. We know nothing about his former life, except that he has only one eye and almost died during a surgery. So, they did tell us to never allow him to be sedated again. We tried, unsuccessfully, to locate where the surgery took place, etc.

Question is, what does the vet's office do to make a diagnosis of arthritis? When I took him for his checkup, they just suggested we start him on a prescription medication. When I checked at Petco and the local farm stores, they carry dog aspirin.

Anyone have experience with these older guys?

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 11:02 PM on Nov. 19, 2013 in Pets

• Yes, Rimadil. It has done wonders for Ballad. Only half a pill a day, and it has seemed to take years off her. I guess I hadn't realized how much pain she was in or just how much she had slowed down, but when I took her in for the kidney issues, the vet saw the way she was moving, felt her joints a bit,and suggested Rimadil just as a side thing. I'm so glad she did! Ballad has been like a puppy compared to what she was, and while the kidney issues will probably take her from me within a year anyway, her last several months will be of much better quality than they might have been if her arthritis hadn't gotten discovered by accident.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:55 PM on Nov. 19, 2013

• Oh, sorry, KT. I thought you meant people meds for pets, which there are some human meds such as baby aspirin and Pepto Bysmol that animals can take.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:33 AM on Nov. 20, 2013

• That's okay Ballad. Our Pharmacy just recently started providing pet meds.
    We've inherited a lot of customers by doing so.
    There are quite a few human meds prescribed for pets as well. Such as, Alprazolam, Phenobarbital etc.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 12:46 AM on Nov. 20, 2013

• My dog's tummy was too sensitive for glucosemine, so she gets 2 coated, regular strength aspirin daily. One in the am & another in the evening. We have a local vet who recently said laser treatments could help with this, so we need to give that a try & see if it helps her. Hope you find something that works for your dog. It's so hard when they get older. GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:39 AM on Nov. 20, 2013

• I don't have any knowledge with dog Arthritis but...if your vet prescribes a medication for your pet, get the script filled at a normal pharmacy and save yourself a ton of money!
    Pet Smart, veterinarians etc. Charge a ton for prescriptions.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 11:06 PM on Nov. 19, 2013

• A lot of times with dogs, it's more simple than it is with humans. The vet just sees a dog getting stiff, moves his joints a bit, feels for heat and tenderness, suspects arthritis, and decides to try a medication and see what happens. Or that's how it went with Ballad. The vet put her on Rididil (Sp?) and it has helped immensely. The process isn't quite as scientific as it is with people because I guess there isn't as much at stake, and not so much to sue over.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:10 PM on Nov. 19, 2013

• As far as buying pet prescriptions from the pharmacy, some you can and some you can't. Ask your vet; most of them will be straight up with you about which ones are able to be interchanged like that. Some of them are buffered or bound with different agents that can be lethal for animals but not fr humans, or vice versa. Rimadil, for example, the vet warned me, is fine for dogs, but in humans, it causes, in her words, "the drizzlin' shits." She said she put it that way to me because some stupid teenager decided to try and get high on the Rimadil prescribed for the family dog by her clinic not long ago.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:00 AM on Nov. 20, 2013

• Our Pharmacy sells Pet meds. The same as you would purchase through your veterinarian.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 12:29 AM on Nov. 20, 2013

• My dog's tummy couldn't handle glucosamine, either. It can be hard on their systems.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:59 AM on Nov. 20, 2013

• I would start him on Glucosimine chontrotin.  That will help but will take several weeks for you to see a differance.  There are several meds you can get from the vets that have both their pros and cons. I had several dogs on Rimadyl but that was some time ago.  But it did it's job and my dogs did well on it. I only gave it as needed in the beginning and increased it when it became necessary (they were on it several years when the happened)

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:35 AM on Nov. 20, 2013