Do you do this?

Cuss in front of your child(ren)?

efmeador0709

Asked by efmeador0709 at 8:11 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• Haha, yeah. I try SOOO hard not too but I am a total potty mouth. I don't cuss AT my kid, just stuff spews from my mouth when I'm talking to hubby or whatever.

And my DD who is 20 months def. picks up on it. She has just stopped saying the F word after like a week of saying it randomly. Aye. She has also said shit and damn it, but hasn't said that recently, since I am REALLY trying to watch my mouth.

I know, it's terrible. Lol.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 9:33 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• yeah but ive cut back and im trying to stop completely. i dont want my 2 year old to pick up on any of those words lol
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 8:13 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• We try to never do that, we also try to never fight in front of him. I try to not cuss ever, but occasionally a swear word comes out. But if we see a fight coming on, we send him to his room or we go to ours. We're the adults, we need to set the example.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 8:14 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Occasionally but lucky for me he is only 2 months old. We're working on watching our mouths. Learning begins at home and if I want my children to learn to speak appropriately, it needs to start with me. Until they're old enough to understand what type of language belongs in what situations, I need to watch what I say so I am not sending mixed signals or getting them in trouble/embarrassed at school when they accidentally say something they're not supposed to by following my lead.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 8:14 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• sometimes i do even when i try not to.. i have been good at cutting back i mumble more now lol.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 8:16 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Absolutely not! Ever since our son was born I have replaced any swear words (at least when he's in the room) with "crap". I probably shouldn't even say that b/c he has repeated it but, it's alot better than hearing him say something ugly. I wouldn't want him to go to school and say things he shouldn't that could get him a time out for something that wouldn't even be his fault.
    Mommy0425

Answer by Mommy0425 at 8:26 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Yeah he is almost 16 now but when he was younger I tried to not
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 8:59 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Nope. I even try not to when not around him. That's one of the reasons I stopped watching some TV because I easily pick up and repeat back what I hear and found myself saying things I didn't like. So now that the TV's off, my language has improved and I rarely swear at all.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:36 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I am HORRIBLE about saying "Dammit"........ I have let go of all of the other bad words, but dammit doesnt seem to want to leave. But I am trying!!!!
    MyMayBaby_Chloe

Answer by MyMayBaby_Chloe at 10:18 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• yep. i do. my kids live in the real world, not a bubble.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 10:39 AM on Feb. 20, 2009