I am 23 and been diagnosed with shingles im so scared cause my mom said I never had chickenpox and thati got my vaccine I do work n an nursing home but

Zal123

Asked by Zal123 at 9:23 AM on Nov. 20, 2013 in Health

• But what? Are you contagious? If so, you need to stay away from the nursing home.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:24 AM on Nov. 20, 2013

• Didnt mean to say but,, im not.contagious got medicine but I think I got it from my job but how can I get if didnt have chickenpox
    Zal123

Comment by Zal123 (original poster) at 9:28 AM on Nov. 20, 2013

• It's the same virus,Herpes Zoster

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:32 AM on Nov. 20, 2013

• These are concerns you should ask your Dr. They do have a shingles vaccine now. Ask your Dr. if you can get that. GL, I hear shingles is very painful.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:33 AM on Nov. 20, 2013

• I agree with Mrs. Mom and butterflyblue. You will need to wait until you recover before you can get the vaccine though, I believe.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:35 AM on Nov. 20, 2013

• My understanding is if you had the vaccine, that introduces the virus into your body. That it a major concern with the virus is that they are figuring out that you can get shingles even having not had chicken pox.

Answer by missanc at 9:48 AM on Nov. 20, 2013

• You had the chicken vaccine, live virus vaccine, I believe. So you've been introduced to the chickenpox virus; that's how a vaccine works. It introduces a small amount of a virus into your body, so your body will produce antibodies to fight off virus thus creating immunity. You aren't immune to shingles though.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:02 AM on Nov. 20, 2013

• Shingles can (and most likely will) return again and again
    My Aunt gets it just about every year in various stages of severity. They treat it with steroids

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:04 AM on Nov. 20, 2013

• Good news is since you are a healthy adult, you probably won't get shingles again unless you are immunocompromised. You probably won't need the shingles vaccine.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:07 AM on Nov. 20, 2013

• If you actually have Shingles then you HAD Chicken Pox at some time.

You can't catch Shingles from another person.

Shingles cannot be passed on to another person by sneezing, coughing, or through casual contact. You can't catch Shingles, you can only develop Shingles if you've had chickenpox.

If you haven't had chickenpox and you have direct contact with another person's Shingles rash, you could get chickenpox. That's why anyone who has an active case of Shingles should stay away from newborns, people who have problems with their immune system, and people who haven't had chickenpox.
    Your age is not the only thing that puts you at risk for Shingles.

Other factors and conditions can weaken your immune system, allowing the painful rash of Shingles to break through your defenses. For example, physical trauma, surgery, and medicines or chronic conditions that suppress your immune system can also increase your risk for Shingles
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:09 AM on Nov. 20, 2013