I got off the birth control pill a couple months ago and have been trying to conceive since...

As close as I can remember, my last period was Oct 16th or somewhere close to that. Which puts me at aprox day 36. I'm jw is this normal? I took a preg test last night and it was negative. Any suggestions?

Ambie0526

Asked by Ambie0526 at 11:16 AM on Nov. 20, 2013 in Trying to Conceive

• Keep in mind that it can take several months for your body to regulate itself after you get off the birth control pill, so your cycle may not have even settled into a predictable 28-day pattern yet, if it ever does. Not all women have regular cycles. Even if you do get a 28-day cycle eventually, doctors don't start looking for trouble in women under 35 till they have been unsuccessful at conceiving for a year. So kick bak, have sex, and enjoy the journey. Be patient. Don't worry, since stress will lower your chances each month by more than you might think. Your odds of conception in any given month are only about twenty percent, but your odds over a year, if you have unprotected sex during your fertile days every month, are close to ninety percent. Trust your body and the process, and don't get hung up on the details.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:11 PM on Nov. 20, 2013

• Sigh
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 11:29 AM on Nov. 20, 2013

• How should we know what is normal for YOUR periods? This is not an ovulation clinic. If you don't know how to get pregnant, you might want to ask your mother or some other adult.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:24 AM on Nov. 20, 2013

• Call the dr. There are other reasons for a late/absence of your period. The tests are pretty sensitive, but it's possible you could be pregnant although unlikely.

Answer by missanc at 11:24 AM on Nov. 20, 2013

• I think if you reread your own question, you will understand that it makes no sense. I have no clue what you are even asking, other than is your period normal and/or is a negative pregnancy test normal. Um, yes... if you are NOT pregnant!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:11 PM on Nov. 20, 2013

• If you are truly TTC, you would KNOW the date of your last period.
    You would also KNOW that you take a pregnancy test with first morning urine, not at night.
    Sounds to me more like you're poking and hoping, not really trying.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:53 PM on Nov. 20, 2013

• Wow m-avi,thanks for such a great answer! That was almost worth your time of answering, to just waste my time of reading it!
    Ambie0526

Comment by Ambie0526 (original poster) at 11:54 AM on Nov. 20, 2013

• Depending on how long you were on the pill before you went off of it, your body might go haywire for awhile. Irregular periods, pregnancy symptoms, etc, etc, etc - and it might take months before you can get pregnant, or before your body even starts to act normal again! Be patient and try not to put too much expectation behind what's going on with your body.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 1:28 PM on Nov. 20, 2013

• Two months is barely enough time for your body to recover from BC and it's nothing as far as TTC. Healthy couples can take a year or so to conceive. Irregular cycles are normal once you stop taking BC.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:20 PM on Nov. 20, 2013

• take the test again in a few weeks
    christina122952

Answer by christina122952 at 12:31 PM on Dec. 4, 2013