Do parents actually not go to IEP meetings?

My youngest had an IEP meeting this morning, about 45 minutes before the meeting, the speech therapist called to ask if I was going to attend. I was quite surprised that she would ask. I thought it was a given that the parents would be there.

Do you go to your kid's? Have you ever missed one?

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 12:49 PM on Nov. 20, 2013 in Special Needs

• My mom wouldn't have ever missed mine, but I grew up with a couple of kids whose parents never bothered to show up to theirs. It was appalling to me then, even as a teenager.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:54 PM on Nov. 20, 2013

• Always made it to my kiddos and the school goes out of their way to make sure the parents can make it but there are always those parents who can't or just don't care enough too sadly.
    Anonymous

• Always there
    And will call a 2nd one, if I am not satisfied with how it went
    And I research all rights, wording and tactics before hand

My job as advocate is to have school IEP members see me coming down the hall, think ...oh crap it is XXXXs mom, just give her what she wants, she will not let up until she gets her way
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 1:26 PM on Nov. 20, 2013

• I make my kids' meetings. Isn't the whole point of the meeting to make sure everyone is on the same page as to the child's progress?
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:27 PM on Nov. 20, 2013

• Would have cancelled everything to be at my son's IEP's, can't even imagine not going.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:28 PM on Nov. 20, 2013

• And
    You can request any school professional that works with your child, be in the IEP meeting
    I had ten people in the room last time
    More the merrier, AND the more the school has to get together IF I have to call a second one because we did not finish all that we need to address

Completely in your rights to have them ALL there...and to call another IEP whenever you want

Be a pain, your child gets more services, and school will follow IEP very closely
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 1:29 PM on Nov. 20, 2013

• Of course we do!
    Those meetings are very important

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:33 PM on Nov. 20, 2013

• Paxi... I LOVE you! Your daughter is lucky to have you!

I would totally call another meeting if I wasn't satisfied. Our school is wonderful and our meeting was really uneventful. My little Patrick only needs speech therapy for an articulation issue. It was our annual review and my first IEP meeting with this school.

I was just really shocked that it was even a question as to whether I was going or not.
    SleepingBeautee

Comment by SleepingBeautee (original poster) at 1:36 PM on Nov. 20, 2013

• The parents who truly don't give a shit don't go to the meetings. I've been to every single one of my child's.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 1:43 PM on Nov. 20, 2013

• I absolutely go to the IEP meetings! I can't imagine NOT going!

I also keep copious notes and have a file of all the IEP info and progress reports and info from therapists/doctors/ SpEd workers. That comes to every meeting.

I also keep in almost daily communication with the head of the SpEd team.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 2:01 PM on Nov. 20, 2013