At the risk of sounding like a moron...Black Friday?

I am in the process of finalizing some sales on my books for Black Friday and the rest of the Thanksgiving weekend. On Amazon, I have the option to set my promotions separately for the American Amazon and the UK Amazon.

My question is: Is the "Black Friday" idea a thing in the UK? Or is it a purely American thing? And if it's not really done in the UK (or done at a different time), when would be a good time to try to catch people doing a big portion of their Christmas shopping there?

wendythewriter

Asked by wendythewriter at 2:11 PM on Nov. 20, 2013 in Shopping

• I just googled it & it said most Black Friday Sales are online in the UK. So yes, they are familiar with this but maybe not at their local stores.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:23 PM on Nov. 20, 2013

• Hmm, why would the UK celebrate Thanksgiving, glad to be done with us Americans? LOL
    Cyber Monday is huge in the US, have no idea why black friday is big in the UK.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 2:39 PM on Nov. 20, 2013

• So just to be clear, this Friday is the official black friday of this year, right? That's how some retailers are advertising it. And which Monday would Cyber Monday be?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:41 PM on Nov. 20, 2013

• Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving, Cyber Monday would be the Monday after that.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 2:44 PM on Nov. 20, 2013

• And which Monday would Cyber Monday be?

Cyber Monday is the Monday after US Thanksgiving - the day millions of people openly admit to shopping online from work. Black Friday is the Friday after Thanksgiving, but some stores will do pre-sales to try and get a jump on competition. The point of both relates directly to sales figures across the board, so if one store tries to edge forward an extra weekend or Thanksgiving day or whatever, they still won't be counted in the official BF sales figures, only next Friday's will.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:45 PM on Nov. 20, 2013

• I know it normally is, but this year Thanksgiving is so late that some of the retailers are jumping it a week and starting sales early.

I'm going to guess that it will mostly occur on Friday after Thanksgiving. I will be staying home anyhow. Any shopping will be of the online variety.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:48 PM on Nov. 20, 2013

• I thought we had some ladies from the UK here???
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:33 PM on Nov. 20, 2013

• For the UK, I would do it on Boxing Day (December 26th).

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:29 PM on Nov. 20, 2013