Help me get my child to stop coughing!!!

Any surefire ways to get my 3 yo to stop coughing? Any meds that work? Can't get out to the store with both boys in bed but may have my husband stop on his way home. Used vaporub and tried a little honey, but he didn't like the texture and threw up everywhere!! Ugh!

romanojm

Asked by romanojm at 8:17 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Did you put the vapor rub on the soles of his feet then put his socks on?
    Dani32

Answer by Dani32 at 8:18 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I had luck with honey and lemon. I put a couple spoons of honey in a cup, stirred in a little lemon, and gave that by the half teaspoonful. Robitussin - a child strength and the anti-cough one, although if the child needs to cough up phlegm you don't necessarily want to stop the cough.

Answer by Bmat at 8:21 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• the doc told me when my son age 3 was caughing so much he threw up they said air. take him out side for 1 min it did help. also a steam room turn shower on hot steam up bathroom and just sit in the room they also said warm milk with a lil hunny. ( son didnt like it ) they also said to elevate his head up like a hospital bed. and to put a rolled up towel under his pillow to raise his head up. they also said steam then cold for 1 min i was like isent that bad she said no but at that point i was willing to try anything. also like u did the vaporub. good luck this cold going around is rough. i wish you and your 3 yo the best..hope 3yo feels better soon. ( took mine 8 days.)
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 8:23 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• use only clear liquids for oral intake. the honey and lemon thing is good. use saline nasal spray every 6 hours followed by good nose blowing when needed. Cool mist humidifier.. I'd DC the vapor rub on a 3 year old ??? not a good idea. Last ditch... if it is allergy post nasal drip causing the cough Zyrtec nightly works! My pediatrician let me use it.
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:46 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• delsym is a cough syrup and its really good. it lasts 12 hours.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 10:37 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• i highly recommend that you use saline spray/mist for him. It is safe and natural. In addition, use a cool mist humidifier in his room. if you are looking for an OTC med then mucinex and delsym seem to work well.

But keep in mind that sometimes children continue to cough even without a cold due to home or seasonal allergies that produces post nasal drip and then results in a cough. If the cough occurs mostly at night I would really look into the post nasal drip issue. It took me years to figure out why my son was always coughing even when he had no other signs of a cold.
    riosordo

Answer by riosordo at 3:09 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• just noticed that MELRN basically stated the same thing about saline and humidifier...it really does help and is safe. FYI recent studies show that the use of vapor rub can be harmful is young children so I would steer clear.
    riosordo

Answer by riosordo at 3:12 PM on Feb. 27, 2009