So if you believe in god and the bible, you're supposed to hate gays?

My daughter came home today and told me that this boy she has known for 8 years told her today that he hates gays. She was shocked because this came out of nowhere. She told him he shouldn't hate and judge an entire group of people like that and he had the nerve to ask her if she believed in the bible. She then asked him 'what's that got to DO with anyTHING'?

She asked him why exactly he hated gays and he didn't have an answer beyond calling HER a Liberal and walking away.

I'm thinking he is being fed bible based hatred for gays AND Liberals from someone in his home and that makes sad.

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 8:04 PM on Nov. 20, 2013 in Religious Debate

• If you believe in God and the Bible, you are supposed to LOVE EVERYONE.
    What a bad Christian.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 8:13 PM on Nov. 20, 2013

• Hatred is learned and this boy is learning it in his home (or from someone he is with a lot). I stepped away from church for a while for several reasons. The main one was because a pastor said that Christians are too tolerant. If anything, they are not too tolerant enough. I got tired of the church telling people that being gay is a sin. I honestly don't believe that it is a sin. I think that society deems what things are sins. I wish there were more pastors like this one- http://the-wopr.newsvine.com/_news/2013/09/19/20572264-church-members-mistreat-homeless-man-in-church-unaware-it-is-their-pastor-in-disguise

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:13 PM on Nov. 20, 2013

• If if a Christian believes it's a sin, they should keep that opinion to themselves. What goes on in the bedroom and marriages of consenting adults is none of their damn business. It sucks that this boy that I have known since he was 5 is spewing religious and political hatred like hot garbage from his mouth. I'm just glad my daughter stood up to him, questioned him and gave him a piece of her mind. I know MANY Christians who don't hate gays- they don't hate anyone. I was brought up to believe that particular religion was one of love.
    IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 8:21 PM on Nov. 20, 2013

• Quite possible. It may be his own conclusion. It really does not matter as long as they find out these things before they form a permanent relationship.
    Different people believe God and the Bible say different things, so asking this question in this manner is about the same as making blanket statements about conservatives or those who believe in God and/ or the Bible.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:35 PM on Nov. 20, 2013

• 3libras

Answer by 3libras at 8:37 PM on Nov. 20, 2013

• I'm pretty sure Jesus lived with 12 men and his bestie was a hooker......lol I bet this kid will grow up and kill his neighbour if he sees him working on Sunday.

pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 9:20 PM on Nov. 20, 2013

• Magdalene was not a hooker. Hhahahahaha
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:19 AM on Nov. 21, 2013

• The answer to your question is, in my opinion, a resounding no!

How old is your daughter, by the way? I'm just wondering because it sounds like the boy she talked to is being spoon-fed something he isn't thinking through at all.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:36 AM on Nov. 21, 2013

• I'm sorry, it is sad. It's ridiculous that children are being taught bigotry (hating someone with no real reason behind it = bigotry in my book). Even worse that religion is used to justify it.

But to answer the question - heck no, you're not supposed to hate gays, even if your interpretation of the Bible sees homosexuality as a sin (mine doesn't).
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:49 AM on Nov. 21, 2013

• The Bible does not teach anyone to hate another person. In fact just the opposite. Christians are supposed to hate the sin while loving the sinner. That means to love everyone because we're all sinners in the eyes of Christ. I may not believe in the homosexual lifestyle (I also don't believe in sex before marriage between a man and a woman! GASP!) but I do not hate anyone who is gay. I work with a couple who are gay and respect them in every way. They are some of the nicest men I'll ever know. We get along great. Each respects the others beliefs and accept that this is one area we'll never agree on.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:22 AM on Nov. 21, 2013