Do you think selling a piece of family history is ok?

My SO just called because he got an email from his mom stating that a relative of his was selling a ring and she was wondering if my SO would be interested in it. The ring was my SO's grandmother's. His grandmother is dead.

Obviously my SO is buying the ring because he thinks it should stay in the family.

I think it is wrong to sell a piece of family history on the internet.

What do you think?

tempsingl3mom

Asked by tempsingl3mom at 8:17 PM on Nov. 20, 2013 in Relationships

• I guess it would depend on the circumstances. Was it an engagement ring or other ring of significance? How is the person related to your SO's grandmother? If it is someone who didn't really know the person, then the ring might not be of sentimental value to them. It's a good thing that the relative did offer it to family members first though.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:24 PM on Nov. 20, 2013

• It was an engagement ring and the person selling it is my SO's uncle (so the ring was his MOTHER'S engagement ring). The relative did NOT offer it to other family members. My SO's mom stumbled on it on the internet.

I am so glad she did and so upset with the uncle here.
    tempsingl3mom

Comment by tempsingl3mom (original poster) at 8:28 PM on Nov. 20, 2013

• Nope, it is not right or wrong. If the ring was given with no strings attached, the the ring is her sole property and she can do as she wishes with it.
    It was given with the express wish that she hand it down to her daughter and she either did not have a daughter or the daughter did not want it, it is still hers to do with as she wants.
    The only time that would change is if the ring was on temporary loan.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:30 PM on Nov. 20, 2013

• Oh, wow. Is the Uncle in some sort of financial trouble?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:32 PM on Nov. 20, 2013

• Nope. Even if he was, I would think he should have the courtesy to offer to sell the ring to someone in the family 1st. And, yes, he lives close to my SO and KNOWS that my SO is considering proposing to me.

I've seen pics of the ring. It is absolutely gorgeous. I would be honored to wear it, but would totally understand if it isn't given to me.
    tempsingl3mom

Comment by tempsingl3mom (original poster) at 8:37 PM on Nov. 20, 2013

• I think it should stay in the family. Hand it down type thing. I do not know what is legal or not with that sort of stuff.

Answer by louise2 at 9:01 PM on Nov. 20, 2013

• I don't know. I guess it depends on how sentimental you are. Antique stores are full of family history. If I had a ring I didn't want to keep then I would probably put it aside for my kids or pass it along to one of my other family members.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:25 PM on Nov. 20, 2013

• It needs to be handed down not sold to a stranger is the Uncle of sane mind or resents grandmother?
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:38 PM on Nov. 20, 2013

• The uncle is a guy and doesn't get the sentimental stuff. I'm just glad my SO gets it.

I totally agree that this needs to stay in the family. I would be ok with him giving the ring to his sister or his mom or even his niece. It is a gorgeous ring and just needs to be in the family.

IF he gives me the ring and we then get married and he dies, I will give the ring to someone in his family.
    tempsingl3mom

Comment by tempsingl3mom (original poster) at 9:43 PM on Nov. 20, 2013