Hi my son is 14mths and has a cold with runny nose congestion and fever . What's the best thing to give him?

Hey did puked three times yesterday and his nose running but is clear and congestion with a fever I gave baby Advil . I am a first-time mother

JJJ113

Asked by JJJ113 at 7:09 AM on Nov. 21, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Truthfully you should be calling a doctor. That is really young to be giving anything. Vicks vapor rub and a humidifier

Answer by louise2 at 7:27 AM on Nov. 21, 2013

• If the fever is over 10.5,he needs to see a doctor. It's not normal to run a fever with a common cold

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:38 AM on Nov. 21, 2013

• 100.5,not 10.5,lol

• If there's a fever, it's more than the common cold and I would take him in to the dr

Answer by missanc at 8:46 AM on Nov. 21, 2013

• There is nothing WE can recommend! You need to take your baby to the pediatrician!!!!
    Your baby is too young to recommend any OTC meds!
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 8:55 AM on Nov. 21, 2013

• ^^^ This
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 9:23 AM on Nov. 21, 2013

• This 1st: A tepid bath, meds and vapor rub. Put vapor rub on his feet and cover them. Also rub it along his neck and upper chest. If you can't break the temp with baby ibuprophen or Tylenol etc., then you need to take him in. Hugs !!
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 9:36 AM on Nov. 21, 2013

• I'd have him seen by a doctor just to confirm that it is a cold.

Answer by Bmat at 9:47 AM on Nov. 21, 2013

• Don't bundle him up! That will increase his temperature. If it's a low temp, and he doesn't seem lethargic or miserable, I'd let the fever be. Focus on the congestion by using a humidifier or steam from bath/shower. Call his pediatrician, they'll be able to tell you if they need/want to see him in the office and will be able to tell you how to help him be more comfortable.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:39 AM on Nov. 21, 2013

• Extra cuddles, love and time. A cold is a minor ailment that will pass fairly quickly. I think the recommendation now is to consult a doctor before giving ANY meds to a child under either two of five.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:23 AM on Nov. 21, 2013