How to help my teen connect with God?

I am not very religious and recently my daughter has been going through a rough patch with many different things, she would like to connect with God and has tried through mainly outlets. She always goes to church, she prays as openly as possible and I'm not sure what else to suggest. If anyone has any good ideas they would be welcome. Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:20 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Does your church have a youth group? I'd say try to find some friends who believe what she believes.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 8:39 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• There are some great books for teens at the Christian Bookstore that deal with needs specific to teenagers.
    &
    Pray for her.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 8:56 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Buy her some inspirational books like Chicken soup for the Teenage soul. Anything to show her how many kids go thru rough times and that is sometimes what molds them into what God has planned for her. You hear alot of preachers tell you their past and they tell you they couldn't tell you how to get where you need to be if they hadn't went thru hard times. Every saint has a past, every sinner has a future. Good luck 2 you and her. GOD bless!
    1countrygal

Answer by 1countrygal at 9:00 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I was (and someday will be again!) a Youth Director. This is a very normal part of a teenager's life. Shoot, it's a normal part of a lot of people's lives...often! You say you aren't very religious? Do you go to church with her? That often helps, as you will serve as a role model. But whether or not you go to church with her, I would recommend contacting whoever is in charge of the youth of the church. This could be the Youth Director, the Education Coordinator, or many other titles. They should have some ideas for you. There are a lot of great books out there, but you have to be careful...read them first, make sure there are no strange philosophies in there!
    CroppingQueen

Answer by CroppingQueen at 11:43 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Sounds like she is on the right track so far...church (under the preaching and teaching of God's Word). Is she really involved in the youth group? Does she have close friends at church? Godly friends and influence. You could suggest her talk with the youth director and his wife. or even pastor and his wife. But, most importantly keep praying. Hang in there Mom.
    heavenschild99

Answer by heavenschild99 at 1:08 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• well you can talk to your school, some schools offer after school bible study clubs.. so she can help connect with teens her age through that. Are you going with her to church? That may help as well. Also try to get to the root of the problem. What is causing this stress.. is it more than stress.. could it be depression.. etc. These are all things you and your daughter need to talk over.. or her and a pastor/priest. Whichever she feels more comfortable with. If it is depression, you are in for a rough ride. I went through that as a teenager. I actually found meditation very helpful.. there are different methods of it.. some geared more toward certain religions.. but it is another option you can look into.. just keep in keyed toward her religion, and be sure to overlook the material as well. Stay strong and on her side, that is the best thing any mother can do at a time like this.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:22 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• There is an amazing book out entitled THE AGE OF OPPORTUNITY by Paul David Tripp. It is a guide to helping teens with just these kinds of questions. I highly recommend that you get that book. You should be able to find it at any Christian bookstore or I got mine from Christian Book Distributors. You can go to their website and find it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:54 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• If she has a youth group I would just recc. regular Bible reading and that she find a Bible study group. She can talk to the Pastor or youth minister about it. She seems to be doing eveyrhting else right. Oh and I would recc. Deeper "Living in the Reality of God's Love" by Debbie Alsdorf (good for all of us teen girls and woman) and At Jesus' Feet by DOug Batchelor (though that is a more SDA book but my friend who is non-denom read it and she absolutely LOVED it. Good luck to the both of you.
    ljdsnow

Answer by ljdsnow at 11:40 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Definitely a youth group or event and also there are some really great teen devotionals to consider. Another way to help her is to live it out. If she needs God for her rough patches, then its likely you need him too. We all do. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:58 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Church retreats for teens are awesome! (at least the ones I went to)

It's a great place for teens to be surrounded by like-minded people for 3 full days. They do Bible studies,small groups, and have free time for playing games (either outdoors or indoors). I went on 2 retreats growing up and I have to say I think I had the most fun and memorable times there.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:35 AM on Feb. 21, 2009